Is Image Deblurring Possible with Sequential CCD Scanning?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: However, most digital cameras still employ a rolling shutter.Not from Adobe, but impressive picture related technology.
Computer science news on Phys.org

Wow!

Question is when will it be out? I bought Photoshop for Spawn eonas ago, cost me a fortune. I'll bet she lost it, it was cool even back then.

Evo said:
Question is when will it be out? I bought Photoshop for Spawn eonas ago, cost me a fortune. I'll bet she lost it, it was cool even back then.
Every new release costs a fortune, and if you pay for upgrades, you'll still pay the same over time. Staying on the bleeding edge is quite expensive.

Right, here are the current prices. Some elementary photo editing can also be done with freeware like Gimp

Andre said:
Is it true?

i think so. it won't work for something out of focus, but with a motion blur, there is not so much loss of information. when i took an image processing course back in the mid-90s, we went over blur algorithms. the thing i don't remember from back then is this innovation they've added, which is to calculate the trajectory of the CCD without knowing it prior (say from a flyover, where it would be essentially a straight line). guessing the trajectory is pretty impressive, assuming that is what is being done. hopefully it's not an exhaustive search algorithm that simply computes the trajectory when it's done (like maybe using a sharpness-measuring algorithm to find an endpoint).

Funny, just about an hour ago Junior sent me this link: http://vimeo.com/28962540

Not from Adobe, but impressive picture related technology.

I noticed the algortihm plots motion. This would seem to imply that the camera involved didn't take the picture all at once, but scanned the ccd's to capture the image in a sequential but moderaly fast sequence, the equivalent of a moving shutter. Do all digital cameras work this way (effective moving shutter) or do some of them sample or at least capture light on all the ccd's at once?

I am not sure what you mean, but you can read the motion from the picture taken all at once:

marcin_curves.jpg

This was shot by manually moving camera with the open shutter.

rcgldr said:
I noticed the algortihm plots motion. This would seem to imply that the camera involved didn't take the picture all at once, but scanned the ccd's to capture the image in a sequential but moderaly fast sequence, the equivalent of a moving shutter. Do all digital cameras work this way (effective moving shutter) or do some of them sample or at least capture light on all the ccd's at once?

not sure about the sequential part (don't think so), but each pixel is integrating photon strikes while the shutter is open.

http://www.google.com/search?q=remo...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

"removal of blur caused by uniform linear motion" is a standard technique in Gonzalez/Woods'

Last edited by a moderator:
None of this is "magic". Here's one way to do the math - at least, there are enough clues to figure out how to do it, if you know some general image processing theory:
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/toolbox/images/bqqhld4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
rcgldr said:
This would seem to imply that the camera involved didn't take the picture all at once, but scanned the ccd's to capture the image in a sequential but moderaly fast sequence, the equivalent of a moving shutter. Do all digital cameras work this way (effective moving shutter) or do some of them sample or at least capture light on all the ccd's at once?

"Cheap" cameras use CMOS sensors where the electronics creates a "rolling shutter" scan, which is cheaper to implement. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter for extreme examples of the distortion it can create.

It is possible to build a more complex CMOS sensor that scans multiple rows of pixels in parallel, and CCDs intrinsically work in parallel. CCDs need a physical shutter (as in a DSLR) to control the exposure, but for CMOS sensors the "exposure time" for each pixel is controlled electronically.

What is Adobe Image Deblurring Sneak?

Adobe Image Deblurring Sneak is a feature developed by Adobe that uses machine learning algorithms to remove blurriness from images.

How does it work?

The feature analyzes the image and calculates the motion trajectory of the camera during the capture. It then uses this information to deblur the image and produce a clearer version.

Can it fix all types of blurriness?

No, Adobe Image Deblurring Sneak is designed to specifically tackle motion blur caused by camera movement. It may not be effective for other types of blurriness, such as out-of-focus blur or camera shake.

Is it a standalone software or part of the Adobe Creative Suite?

At the moment, Adobe Image Deblurring Sneak is only a prototype and not available as part of the Adobe Creative Suite. However, it may be integrated into future versions of Adobe software.

Can it deblur videos as well?

The current version of Adobe Image Deblurring Sneak is only capable of deblurring images. However, Adobe is working on developing a similar feature for videos in the future.