1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced calculus like Sternberg's but less abstract

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    I've read Spivak 's calculus so I tried Sternberg 's book,IT IS kind of hard,because the abstraction is put upfront,I know of his other book with Bamberg, but a review on amazon deterred me from buying it,was I right in doing so?
    Any adv.Calculus book that have some physics in it like Sternberg's?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Aug 26, 2014 #3
    When I'd like to know if there any advanced calculus book that doesn't adhere to axiomatic methods,is rigorous but with strong appeal to ‘geometric intuition'.

5. Aug 27, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

You could try this one, it has a ton of exercises and looks at each topic from every angle. It is very mathematical, there is not a lot of explanation, but if you do the exercises, you should get a lot of intuition. Not a lot will be left uncovered.

That said, it is a pretty unfriendly book. Be prepared to put in the effort of doing the problems even if they seem unmotivated. You won't find the perfect book, but this one will satisfy your need for intuition because the problems will give you that encompassing knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Calcu...qid=1409120633&sr=8-2&keywords=marsden+tromba

PS. It doesn't have any physics in it. I can't imagine there is such a book. I mean that it is thorough and doing the exercises in order will be rather exhaustive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 27, 2014 #5

verty

Homework Helper

Hmm, there are some very odd reviews of that book I mentioned. Here is one excerpt:

This reviewer complains that the book comes down to a cookbook-style attack on problems, and that he struggled to understand things. But clearly the book worked because he aced real analysis afterwards, probably because he had the intuition already from this book. He gives it 1 star out of 5, why I don't know because it clearly helped him.

7. Aug 27, 2014 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Aug 27, 2014 #7
  9. Aug 27, 2014 #8
    Are you looking for a mathematics text or for a methods book suitable for physicists? There is wide variety in things called "advanced calculus".

10. Aug 28, 2014 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

have you tried apostol vol 2?

or maybe the version of courant rewritten by fritz john would suit your tastes better as to style. i.e. courant and john vol. 2 is a rewrite of courant's vol. 2 but in a more modern and standard style.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted