Advanced Technologies (Please suggest)

• Thread starter ruzfactor
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have to submit a case study on a new or rapidly changing technology. But I'm unable to find any new technology related to mechanical engineering field. I would really appreciate some suggestions here. Technology should be such that there are enough material to help me writing a report.

Answers and Replies

Areogels used for insulation
carbon nanotubes for replacing steel.

It depends what you're looking for. One of my interesting reads recently was on the exoskeleton suits being developed for use in the army.

You could present the key features of powered vs non-powered and the different types of suit that could be used and what they could be used for.

@rasanders22 and jarednjames: thnx for your reply.

It could be any new or rapidly developing technology related to mechanical engineering (i prefer that because i am studying mech eng.) and has some indentifiable applications. Also there should be enough resources to help me on this topic.

Exoskeleton and carbon nanotubes both seems very interesting.

It could be any new or rapidly developing technology related to mechanical engineering (i prefer that because i am studying mech eng.) and has some indentifiable applications. Also there should be enough resources to help me on this topic.
We're not going to provide the resources for you. You will have to research the topic yourself.

A good case study for mechanical engineering would be Geothermal heating. There's ton of info out there, you can compare and contrast Geothermal heating to conventional heating.

We're not going to provide the resources for you. You will have to research the topic yourself.
I will research the topic by myself. I asked because even if a topic seems interesting, there could be limited resources available.

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Finite Element Analysis (structural, thermal, and CFD) and it's applications to product design is changing at a rapid pace. It's possible today for an engineer to model at his desk what would have taken a supercomputer cluster 10 years ago.