Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing for Quantum Mechanics, please suggest me good books.

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    Hello I am a second year student and i am starting to learn about quantum world. I am in biochem programm so quantum is not the main focus of my program, however i realize that without physics there is absolutely no succeses in research. I am very curious about how atoms work, bonding and non bonding intermolecular forces. This is extremely difficult field. It requires tons of Mathematical knowldege. Can anyone please suggest What mathematical theorems and concepts i should know? I am familiar with basics of derivatives and integration. Where should i concentrate on? Any good text books?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A solid understanding of functions, complex numbers, partial derivatives and the basics of linear algebra (inner product spaces, orthonormal bases, linear operators and matrices) will get you very far.

There are lots of threads like this one already, so I suggest that you do a search.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook