Preparing for Quantum Mechanics, please suggest me good books.

In summary, the speaker is a second year biochemistry student who is starting to learn about the quantum world. They recognize the importance of physics in research and are curious about atoms, bonding, and intermolecular forces. They are seeking suggestions for mathematical theorems and concepts to focus on, and are familiar with basic calculus but looking for more advanced topics. They are also open to textbook recommendations and have been advised to search for existing discussions on this topic.
pahtakus
Hello I am a second year student and i am starting to learn about quantum world. I am in biochem programm so quantum is not the main focus of my program, however i realize that without physics there is absolutely no succeses in research. I am very curious about how atoms work, bonding and non bonding intermolecular forces. This is extremely difficult field. It requires tons of Mathematical knowldege. Can anyone please suggest What mathematical theorems and concepts i should know? I am familiar with basics of derivatives and integration. Where should i concentrate on? Any good textbooks?

Physics news on Phys.org
A solid understanding of functions, complex numbers, partial derivatives and the basics of linear algebra (inner product spaces, orthonormal bases, linear operators and matrices) will get you very far.

There are lots of threads like this one already, so I suggest that you do a search.

1. What is the best book to start learning about Quantum Mechanics?

The best book to start learning about Quantum Mechanics is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and is written in a clear and accessible manner.

2. Are there any prerequisites for studying Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, a basic understanding of linear algebra and differential equations is recommended for studying Quantum Mechanics. Some knowledge of classical mechanics and electromagnetism may also be helpful.

3. What are some good books for advanced study of Quantum Mechanics?

Some recommended books for advanced study of Quantum Mechanics are "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah, "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard Feynman and A. R. Hibbs, and "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J. J. Sakurai.

4. Can you suggest any introductory books on Quantum Mechanics for non-scientists?

For non-scientists, "Quantum Mechanics for the Rest of Us" by John R. Gribbin and "Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide" by J.P. McEvoy are good introductory books that explain the concepts of Quantum Mechanics in a more accessible manner.

5. Are there any online resources or videos that can supplement book learning for Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are several online resources and videos that can supplement book learning for Quantum Mechanics. Some recommended ones are "The Quantum World" course on Coursera, "Quantum Mechanics for Everyone" by Robert B. Griffiths on YouTube, and MIT OpenCourseWare's "Quantum Physics I" course.