Please suggest whether I should use delta or dx method.

In summary: I \;dS## is just another way of writing ##\Delta m = I \Delta S##.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of differentials and non-standard analysis in the derivation of Neumann potential. The speaker originally used the ##dx## method, but changed to using ##\Delta## after being told by their math teacher that expressions like ##dm=I dS## have no meaning in elementary calculus. However, as a physicist, the speaker sees no issue with using ##dm=I dS## and is wondering if they should continue using it or switch back to using ##\Delta##. The other speaker agrees with the math teacher's statement but also sees no problem with using ##dm
faheemahmed6000
I previously made a derivation of Neumann potential. It can be found in the pdf file below. I originally made it in the ##dx## method. It involved equations like ##dm=I dS##. My maths teacher told that such an expression has no meaning, at least in elementary calculus. However I argued that my physics textbook uses such expressions countless times. Anyway I listened to my maths teacher and changed all ##d## with ##\Delta##. The problem with this was that my final results were not perfect but approximations.

Then I heard about differentials and non standard analysis where expressions like ##dm=I dS## has meaning. However as a graduate student in Physics, I have no understanding in these topics.

I think these differentials and non-standard analysis strongly suggest that I can go back to my previous ##dx## method.

Right now I have these two methods. Please suggest which of them is more proper and appropriate in my derivation of Neumann potential. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• #7 Neumann's mutual potential energy of two closed circuits s and s'.pdf
    408.6 KB · Views: 275
Physics news on Phys.org
Your pdf uses ##\Delta## in the text, but ## \;d\ ## in the illustrations.
In physics, as long as you remember that ## \;d\ ## stands for a limit (like in ## \;{dy\over dx} = {\displaystyle \lim_{h\downarrow 0}}\;{y(x+h)-y(x)\over h} \ ##), you should be just fine.

##I=\dfrac{dm}{dS}## is a derivative. Here ##d## indeed stands for limit. I don't have problem there.

I am having problem with the expression: ##dm=I dS##. My math teacher said in terms of elementary calculus, this expression has no meaning. Yet, I think I can use it as in my Physics books. Or will it be a logical fallacy if I do it? Is it proper to replace ##\Delta m=I \Delta S## in my pdf with ##dm=I dS##

I agree with your math teacher, but I am a physicist and as a physicist I have no problem at all with ##dm=I\, dS##. Much more readable than ##\Delta m \approx I\, \Delta S \ ## or ##\Delta m = I\, \Delta S \ + {\mathcal O}(\Delta S)^2## .

Likes faheemahmed6000
BvU said:
I agree with your math teacher, but I am a physicist and as a physicist I have no problem at all with ##dm=I\, dS##. Much more readable than ##\Delta m \approx I\, \Delta S \ ## or ##\Delta m = I\, \Delta S \ + {\mathcal O}(\Delta S)^2## .

Then is it necessary for me to learn advanced calculus in order to understand the meaning of ##dm=I dS##. Or is there any simpler way to understand this expression.

It's not really advanced calculus...
For a physicist ## dm=I \;dS ## simply means that a small change in ##S## means a change in ##m## that is ##I## times as big.

Likes faheemahmed6000

1. What is the difference between the delta and dx method?

The delta method and the dx method are two different approaches used in mathematical calculations. The delta method involves using small changes in variables to determine the change in the final result, while the dx method involves taking the derivative of the function to determine the change in the final result.

2. When should I use the delta method?

The delta method is typically used when the function involves multiple variables and the change in one variable affects the final result. It is also useful for linear approximations and when dealing with small changes in the variables.

3. When should I use the dx method?

The dx method is typically used when the function involves one variable and you want to determine the change in the final result based on small changes in that variable. It is also useful for finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

4. How do I know which method to use?

The choice between the delta method and the dx method depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. If the function involves multiple variables and you want to determine the change in the final result, the delta method may be more appropriate. If the function involves one variable and you want to determine the change in the final result based on small changes in that variable, the dx method may be more suitable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the delta or dx method?

Both the delta method and the dx method have their limitations and are not applicable to all mathematical problems. The delta method may not work well for nonlinear functions, while the dx method may not be suitable for functions with multiple variables. It is important to understand the problem and choose the appropriate method based on its limitations.