1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Please suggest whether I should use delta or dx method.

1. Dec 22, 2017 #1
    I previously made a derivation of Neumann potential. It can be found in the pdf file below. I originally made it in the ##dx## method. It involved equations like ##dm=I dS##. My maths teacher told that such an expression has no meaning, at least in elementary calculus. However I argued that my physics textbook uses such expressions countless times. Anyway I listened to my maths teacher and changed all ##d## with ##\Delta##. The problem with this was that my final results were not perfect but approximations.

Then I heard about differentials and non standard analysis where expressions like ##dm=I dS## has meaning. However as a graduate student in Physics, I have no understanding in these topics.

I think these differentials and non-standard analysis strongly suggest that I can go back to my previous ##dx## method.

Right now I have these two methods. Please suggest which of them is more proper and appropriate in my derivation of Neumann potential. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Your pdf uses ##\Delta## in the text, but ## \;d\ ## in the illustrations.
    In physics, as long as you remember that ## \;d\ ## stands for a limit (like in ## \;{dy\over dx} = {\displaystyle \lim_{h\downarrow 0}}\;{y(x+h)-y(x)\over h} \ ##), you should be just fine.

4. Dec 22, 2017 #3
    ##I=\dfrac{dm}{dS}## is a derivative. Here ##d## indeed stands for limit. I don't have problem there.

I am having problem with the expression: ##dm=I dS##. My math teacher said in terms of elementary calculus, this expression has no meaning. Yet, I think I can use it as in my Physics books. Or will it be a logical fallacy if I do it? Is it proper to replace ##\Delta m=I \Delta S## in my pdf with ##dm=I dS##

5. Dec 22, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I agree with your math teacher, but I am a physicist and as a physicist I have no problem at all with ##dm=I\, dS##. Much more readable than ##\Delta m \approx I\, \Delta S \ ## or ##\Delta m = I\, \Delta S \ + {\mathcal O}(\Delta S)^2## .

6. Dec 22, 2017 #5
    Then is it necessary for me to learn advanced calculus in order to understand the meaning of ##dm=I dS##. Or is there any simpler way to understand this expression.

7. Dec 22, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

It's not really advanced calculus...
    For a physicist ## dm=I \;dS ## simply means that a small change in ##S## means a change in ##m## that is ##I## times as big.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted