Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Advances towards creating sperm and eggs in the lab

1. Aug 12, 2017 #1

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Since @BillTre mentioned he was previously interested in generating fish sperm cells in the lab, I though I'd share a recent article from MIT's Technology Review magazine covering recent advances in reproductive biology toward generating sperm and egg cells in the lab through cellular reprogramming. In addition to being a big help to those dealing with infertility, these technologies could have broader, far-reaching societal implications:
    It's a good read if you are interested in the topic: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608452/a-new-way-to-reproduce/amp/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2017 #2

BillTre

Science Advisor

Very interesting article.

To do some of the things they mention in it (the sex changing things, making male gametes from females and visa versa) would require overcoming or changing the sexual imprinting of the genome (which was discussed in an earlier thread). Not aware of where the state of the art is on this and if their new techniques would deal with the problem directly.

Another possible issue might be the accumulation mutations in germ cells produced from "old" somatic (non-reproductive body) cells that have been dividing and perhaps accumulating mutations or shortening their telomeres during someone's life, while normal germ cells and germ cell precursors where stored away on gametes where they are (possibly) "protected" from such damage. This (I would guess) would be more of a problem with eggs (there are only a few hundred of them in human females) as opposed to males. If this were a problem, then it would be necessary to surveil for somatic mutations in addition to the parent's germline mutants that might already be known.

4. Aug 13, 2017 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

All good concerns. In addition to telomere attrition and DNA damage, there is question whether the reprogramming methods used to convert differentiated cells into induced pleuripotent stem cells actually achieve complete reprogramming, or whether some changes are incomplete and could cause problems for some applications (see http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/stem.700/abstract).

Recent research
    has shown that mouse skin cells reprogrammed into eggs can develop into healthy, reproductively competent adults, though the success rate is low (~ 3.5% vs ~ 60% for natural oocytes), suggesting that only a fraction of cells get correctly reprogrammed and we still need to learn more about the reprogramming process. It's also worth noting that mice have extremely long telomeres compared to humans, so problems with telomeres might not be as readily apparent in mice as in humans.

5. Aug 13, 2017 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor

In my opinion, this is the kind of stuff that will provide some of the most interesting bases for science fiction speculation (an important sub-forum here).

There is a lot of potential for differences from what today holds, with lots of potential for social/political impacts, conflicts, and interactions.
    Get on it Sci-Fi people, I want more Biologically based Science-Fiction!
    Even without the fiction, there are so many interesting close-to-the-present possibilities.
    Would have been really mind-blowing stuff just a few years ago. More to come.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted