Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism: Is Purcell & Morin the Solution?

In summary: What textbook would you recommend to an "undergraduate-level student" as a "relativistic-bridge" from introductory physics to Griffiths' electrodynamics book?M. Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics
bigmike94
Hi I am coming up to the end of first year electromagnetism using the book University Physics. I will be honest there’s a lot of information crammed into a few hundred pages and it was my first ever exposure to EM. I never did it in school.

I feel like its give me a good overview but i don't feel ready for something like Griffiths yet, I am wondering if a book like Edward M. Purcell & David J. Morin Electricity and Magnetism would be a good bridging book before Griffiths as I have heard it’s level is in between that of University Physics and Griffiths?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I think also with me because I struggle with attention problems I have kind of rushed through the EM sections, the book is huge the pages are huge and the writing is tiny and there’s a lot going on with each page. It can get a bit overwhelming. I plan on reading many many textbooks so I am not too worried about gaps I have, I’m just so done with this mammoth of a book 🤣

Edit 2: I should mention that I start a first year physics course next month with my actual uni, that’s one of the reasons I have had to rush through this book, I was trying to get ahead of the game, so anything I haven’t fully grasped I should pick up during this course anyway. (My uni publishes its own textbooks that are a lot more readable than most textbooks as they’re written for distance learning)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like Purcell's book. It's burying the physics under attempts to make it didactical.

Likes dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
I don't like Purcell's book. It's burying the physics under attempts to make it didactical.
Can you suggest another similar level textbook?

M. Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics

Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
Thank you. But it seems to have strange units? I’d like to stick with SI at least for now

Likes PeroK
Then jump to Griffiths, which is in SI units AFAIK.

Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
While not perfect, Purcell does fit as a text between typical intro texts and Griffiths's electrodynamics... and it seems (as you imply later) it is not easy to identify an alternative.

There are some relatively-new and likely-unfamiliar introductory textbooks that are worth looking into:

Tom Moore's Six Ideas That Shaped Physics Unit E (as part of a 6 part textbook)
http://www.physics.pomona.edu/sixideas/

Ruth Chabay and Bruce Sherwood's Matter and Interactions
https://matterandinteractions.org/
and its associated use of https://www.glowscript.org/ (eventually webvpython.org ).

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
bigmike94 said:
vanhees71 said:
Can you suggest another similar level textbook?

(my quoting attempts to capture the spirit of the conversation)

Schwartz doesn't appear to be a text similar to Purcell (as a [typical-]bridging book).
  • Tensors in Ch 1 (p. 21).
  • Legendre Polynomials in Ch 2 (p.81).
  • "3-5 The electric and magnetic fields as elements of a second-rank tensor" (p. 126), using imaginary time-components in the field tensor

Likes PeroK
Schwartz is similar to Purcell in presenting classical electrodynamics as a relativistic field theory. What you list as arguments against the book are, in fact, features. The language of physics is geometry (in the sense of Klein's Erlangen program), and thus tensors are the natural way to treat electrodynamics. To avoid them makes the presentation in Purcell's book unnecessarily complicated. That's what I meant when I said it's burying the subject under didactics. Legendre polynomials are also very useful in all kinds of field theory.

Of course, you are right in critisizing the use of the ##\mathrm{i} c t## convention in Minkowski space. In this sense I agree that there is no perfect modern electrodynamics texbook at the introductory undergraduate level, and Landau Lifshitz vol. 2 remains the only really satisfactory one for the "relativity-first approach", but that's definitely a graduate-level text.

Likes PhDeezNutz and dextercioby
Of course, but that's not the "relativity-first approach" as in Purcell.

You don't necessarily need a bridging book on E&M to learn from Griffiths. Purcell is more of an honors book. I've read elsewhere that good prep for it is actually Kleppner and Kolenkow's mechanics textbook. It gets you used to the style of problems in Purcell, which are pretty difficult apparently.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Schwartz is similar to Purcell in presenting classical electrodynamics as a relativistic field theory. What you list as arguments against the book are, in fact, features. The language of physics is geometry (in the sense of Klein's Erlangen program), and thus tensors are the natural way to treat electrodynamics. To avoid them makes the presentation in Purcell's book unnecessarily complicated. That's what I meant when I said it's burying the subject under didactics. Legendre polynomials are also very useful in all kinds of field theory.

I don't think the OP is looking for a "relativistic-bridge"
from introductory physics to Griffiths' electrodynamics book.
While Purcell attempts such a bridge,
that should be separated from other bridges that Purcell attempts.

When I use Purcell as a bridge to Griffiths,
I don't use his relativistic approach.
I do use his attempt to give the student some intuition of what divergence and curl mean
using his page of field patterns
1662154826484.png

This is not done in the typical introductory level and it's not done in Griffiths.

Tom Moore's Six Ideas That Shaped Physics Unit E (which i mentioned earlier)
uses similar ideas to try to give some intuition to divergence and curl.

When I last taught E&M, I tried to build on these idea using GeoGebra
"Vector Fields, Divergence and Curl, and Flux and Circulation Integrals (robphy)"
https://www.geogebra.org/m/vkhy5eza

vanhees71 said:
Of course, you are right in critisizing the use of the ##\mathrm{i} c t## convention in Minkowski space. In this sense I agree that there is no perfect modern electrodynamics texbook at the introductory undergraduate level, and Landau Lifshitz vol. 2 remains the only really satisfactory one for the "relativity-first approach", but that's definitely a graduate-level text.

An interesting relativity-first advanced-undergraduate/graduate text is
Ingarden and Jamiolkowski's Classical Electrodynamics.
Here's a library catalog entry: https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/1585791
https://www.worldcat.org/title/classical-electrodynamics/oclc/10752399
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2874274-classical-electrodynamics
Search snippets? https://books.google.com/books/about/Classical_Electrodynamics.html?id=6qAeAQAAIAAJ

It uses differential forms
(in the spirit of Bill Burke's ( https://www.ucolick.org/~burke/ )
twisted differential forms: "Div Grad Curl are Dead"
https://people.ucsc.edu/~rmont/papers/Burke_DivGradCurl.pdf )
and develops a spacetime viewpoint
before introducing Maxwell's Equations.

Likes vanhees71
Ingarden and Jamiolkowski is an interesting text. Here is the toc (sorry about the ordering 1,3,5,2,4,6). This is not a recommendation for the OP.

Attachments

• F8647F3C-BA39-459C-A38E-B531E377F945.jpeg
    F8647F3C-BA39-459C-A38E-B531E377F945.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 35EC0CD4-FA19-4754-B131-8927ADA3139F.jpeg
    35EC0CD4-FA19-4754-B131-8927ADA3139F.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 108
  • 3DF5A364-D45B-4CF2-8649-DB2C947326AE.jpeg
    3DF5A364-D45B-4CF2-8649-DB2C947326AE.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 9ED7DCD7-E3AB-4A1B-BEF7-E7A283932B52.jpeg
    9ED7DCD7-E3AB-4A1B-BEF7-E7A283932B52.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 108
  • E5249455-713F-4117-B643-178D712403E2.jpeg
    E5249455-713F-4117-B643-178D712403E2.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 95
  • D006C371-A607-4FEB-93E7-36863D9722F4.jpeg
    D006C371-A607-4FEB-93E7-36863D9722F4.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes vanhees71 and robphy
I think we have gotten a little bit off topic. I will also recommend the old (1933) book Vector Analysis by Phillips. It will provide a good mathematical underpinning with plenty of EM discussion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
A long forgotten Matveev's classic text mentioned here (with a link to archive.org) is worth checking out. It is similar to Purcell in adopting "relativity-first" approach. Unfortunately, it's written in SI units (like most of modern textbooks on the subject).
Update: another classic text by Tamm, Fundamentals Of The Theory Of Electricity, uses Gaussian system of units.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is "Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism"?

"Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism" refers to the study of advanced concepts and theories in the field of electromagnetism. It builds upon the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and delves into more complex topics such as electromagnetic waves, Maxwell's equations, and electromagnetic radiation.

2. Who are Purcell and Morin?

Purcell and Morin are two prominent physicists who co-authored the textbook "Electricity and Magnetism" which is commonly used in advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses on electromagnetism. Their book is known for its clear explanations and rigorous treatment of the subject.

3. Is Purcell & Morin the best resource for learning about advanced electromagnetism?

While Purcell & Morin is a highly recommended textbook, it is not the only resource available for learning about advanced electromagnetism. There are other textbooks, online resources, and research papers that can also provide valuable insights and understanding of the subject.

4. What topics are covered in "Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism"?

Some of the topics covered in "Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism" include electromagnetic waves, Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic radiation, electromagnetic fields in matter, and special relativity. It also includes applications of electromagnetism in areas such as optics, electronics, and telecommunications.

5. What are the prerequisites for studying "Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism"?

To study "Advancing to Higher Level Electromagnetism", one should have a strong foundation in basic concepts of electromagnetism such as electric and magnetic fields, Gauss's law, and Ampere's law. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of vector calculus and differential equations.