1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between University Physics and College Physics (by Young et al)

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I currently have College Physics by Young/Geller. My friend (who is superb at physics) told me that that book is not good and University Physics by Young/Freedman is a better choice. I would really like to know what is the difference between these 2 books? Should I invest in the Uni Physics book, considering that I already have the other? The context is that I really hope to make it into the national team for Physics Olympiad, or at least get a gold/silver in the National O. I'm currently 10th grade (not in US), and have maybe 1.3 years more to study for the exam (if i can make it to nats in the first place.)

If anyone has any tips for me to study for it, it will be even greatly appreciated:D

(Oh and I also happen to have ebook of Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday/Resnick. I know it's good, but I dislike reading ebooks)

Thank a ton!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    Introductory calculus-based physics textbooks are more or less the same. Just pick one that suits you. I wouldn't waste money getting another introductory textbook.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

Young's College Physics is not an introductory calculus-based physics book. It is an algebra-based physics book, and that is the difference between the two books. So in a sense, the OP's friend is correct -- Young's University Physics would be the better choice.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've never used Young/Freedman myself, but it's probably pretty similar to Halliday/Resnick in the topics covered, and in the mathematical and conceptual level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook