How much SR is needed for Purcell and Morin?

In summary, the conversation discusses the level of understanding of special relativity needed for Edward M. Purcell and David J. Morin's book. The individual has already completed A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations and is planning to read Freedman's University Physics and Purcell and Morin's book before starting an electrodynamics course. They are unsure if the introductory chapter on SR in University Physics will be enough to cover the necessary material. Other readers suggest that they should be prepared to start Griffiths' book as long as they have a background in calculus.
bigmike94
TL;DR Summary: How much special relativity Is needed for Edward M. Purcell & David J. Morin

It clearly is needed to fully understand this book and I have what seems like a good book that introduces relativity (A.P. French)

But I am not wanting to start it yet and it’s around 300 pages long, I have just finished A Students Guide to Maxwell’s Equations and have also intro E&M under my belt.

The reason for me wanting to carry on studying E&M and not start special relativity yet is because I start an electrodynamics course next October and I want to be over prepared, therefor I set myself a goal;
To read in this order;

Freedman’s University physics mechanics and electromagnetism chapters

A Students Guide to Maxwell’s Equations

Purcell & Morins Electricity and Magnetism

D.J Griffiths electrodynamics

I have read the first two, leaving me a year to read the last 2, which I think is doable as I won’t be doing a tonne of the problems as that’ll come with the course next year.

But as you can see I have little time to fit in a full book about SR, I want to be able to enjoy a good SR book and not be rushing to finish it, but I still have Freedman’s University Physics and it does have an introductory chapter on SR with topics covered;
Invariance of physical laws
Relativity of simultaneity
Relativity of time intervals
Relativity of length
The Lorentz Transformation
The Doppler effect for EM waves
Relativistic momentum
Relativistic work and energy
Newtonian mechanics and relativity

So will the chapter in University Physics be enough to cover the SR needed for the Purcell and Morin book?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bigmike94 said:
So will the chapter in University Physics be enough to cover the SR needed for the Purcell and Morin book?

I think so.

Likes bigmike94
Purcell and Morin is basically an honors intro EM. You should be qualified to start Griffiths, as long as you have calc 3 under your belt

Likes malawi_glenn
bigmike94 said:
TL;DR Summary: How much special relativity Is needed for Edward M. Purcell & David J. Morin

It clearly is needed to fully understand this book and I have what seems like a good book that introduces relativity (A.P. French)

But I am not wanting to start it yet and it’s around 300 pages long, I have just finished A Students Guide to Maxwell’s Equations and have also intro E&M under my belt.

The reason for me wanting to carry on studying E&M and not start special relativity yet is because I start an electrodynamics course next October and I want to be over prepared, therefor I set myself a goal;
To read in this order;

Freedman’s University physics mechanics and electromagnetism chapters

A Students Guide to Maxwell’s Equations

Purcell & Morins Electricity and Magnetism

D.J Griffiths electrodynamics

I have read the first two, leaving me a year to read the last 2, which I think is doable as I won’t be doing a tonne of the problems as that’ll come with the course next year.

But as you can see I have little time to fit in a full book about SR, I want to be able to enjoy a good SR book and not be rushing to finish it, but I still have Freedman’s University Physics and it does have an introductory chapter on SR with topics covered;
Invariance of physical laws
Relativity of simultaneity
Relativity of time intervals
Relativity of length
The Lorentz Transformation
The Doppler effect for EM waves
Relativistic momentum
Relativistic work and energy
Newtonian mechanics and relativity

Thank you in advance.
Although not familiar with a student's guide to Maxwell's Equations. It was supplemental reading for a course I took many years ago. The main text we used was Mardsen: Vector Calculus, and I had no issues working through Griffiths. Ie., reading Griffiths for the physics, and not have to worry about the mathematics, and proceed to the problems.

Likes malawi_glenn

1. How is SR related to Purcell and Morin's work?

SR, or stimulus-response, is a key concept in Purcell and Morin's work as it refers to the relationship between a stimulus and the response it elicits. This is a fundamental aspect of their research on behavior and learning.

2. What is the ideal amount of SR needed for Purcell and Morin's experiments?

The ideal amount of SR needed for Purcell and Morin's experiments will vary depending on the specific research question being investigated. However, a sufficient amount of SR is necessary to establish a clear and reliable relationship between the stimulus and response.

3. How do Purcell and Morin measure SR in their experiments?

Purcell and Morin use a variety of methods to measure SR in their experiments, including behavioral observations, self-report measures, and physiological measures such as brain activity or heart rate. These measures allow them to quantify the strength and nature of the stimulus-response relationship.

4. Can SR be manipulated in Purcell and Morin's experiments?

Yes, SR can be manipulated in Purcell and Morin's experiments through various means, such as changing the intensity or frequency of the stimulus, altering the context in which the stimulus is presented, or introducing different types of stimuli. This manipulation allows researchers to study the effects of SR on behavior and learning.

5. How does understanding SR contribute to our understanding of behavior and learning?

Understanding SR is crucial in understanding behavior and learning, as it provides insight into the mechanisms underlying how organisms respond to their environment. By studying the relationship between a stimulus and response, Purcell and Morin's work helps us understand how behaviors are acquired, maintained, and modified over time.