Advection equation stability for explicit scheme

In summary, the speaker is discussing a 1D advection problem involving a cold fluid flowing over a flat plate. They used an energy balance to determine the PDEs for the fluid and solid and used finite differences to solve the system. They are trying to optimize the number of nodes in their simulation to improve calculation time and ensure stability and convergence. They have tried using the CFL criteria but it did not work in their case. They determined that a minimum of 20 nodes is needed for accurate results, but they are wondering if there is an analytical way to determine this value. The suggested approach is to perform a grid resolution study and automate the procedure. The speaker also mentions the Von Neumann stability analysis and the potential for spurious oscill
pomekrank
Hello,

I have a typical 1D advection problem where a cold fluid flows over a flat plate. I did an energy balance to include conduction, convection and friction loss and I got the PDE's for the fluid and the solid. I used finite differences to solve the system as T(x, t) for both fluid and solid. After simplification, I have this kind of matrix in explicit scheme.
(see attached matrix.png)

The problem is that I want to optimise the number of nodes (time step) in my simulation to decrease time of calculation and ensure stability and convergence. I read about CFL criteria but it doesn't seem to always work in my case even if CFL < 1. Here (advection.png) is an image of the temperature distribution at a specific node for 2 different cases. By trial and error, I determined that the lowest minimum of nodes would be around 20 to get the full phenomen. However, is there a analytical way to figure out this value ?

Thank you,

Steven

Attachments

• matrix.png
    matrix.png
    23 KB · Views: 551
  • advection.png
    advection.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
The only way I know to do this is to perform a grid resolution study. You would start with a coarse grid, run the simulation, and keep refining the grid until the changes in the computed solution fall below a certain tolerance. You might consider automating this procedure. That is known as dynamic grid adaptation.

Von Neumann stability analysis is the standard technique for accessing the stability of a finite difference scheme.

However, some stable finite difference schemes will have spurious oscillating modes if the time step is too large. An example of this is the Crank-Nicolson method applied to the heat equation. While these mode eventually decay to zero, they can still negatively impact a calculation. Your plot of the temperature is indicative of such behavior.

1. What is the advection equation and how is it used in science?

The advection equation is a partial differential equation that describes the transport of a quantity, such as temperature or concentration, by a fluid flow. It is used in various fields of science, including meteorology, oceanography, and engineering, to model the movement of substances in a fluid.

2. What is an explicit scheme and how does it relate to the advection equation?

An explicit scheme is a numerical method used to solve the advection equation. It involves discretizing the domain and using finite difference or finite volume methods to approximate the derivatives in the equation. The resulting system of equations is then solved explicitly, meaning that the solution at the next time step is calculated solely based on the values at the previous time step.

3. What is stability in the context of the advection equation and why is it important?

Stability refers to the ability of a numerical method to produce a solution that does not grow or oscillate uncontrollably as the time step decreases. In the context of the advection equation, this means that the solution should not become unbounded or produce unphysical results. Stability is important because an unstable solution is not a valid representation of the physical system being modeled.

4. How is the stability of an explicit scheme for the advection equation determined?

The stability of an explicit scheme can be determined by analyzing the numerical method's amplification factor, which describes how the error in the solution is affected by each time step. The scheme is considered stable if the amplification factor is less than or equal to 1 for all values of the discretization parameters.

5. What are some ways to improve the stability of explicit schemes for the advection equation?

One way to improve the stability of explicit schemes for the advection equation is by using a smaller time step. Additionally, using higher-order spatial and temporal discretization methods can also improve stability. Another approach is to use a different numerical method, such as an implicit scheme, which may have better stability properties for certain types of advection problems.