Advice about volunteering abroad

• Thread starter RK1992
  • Start date
In summary: Also, it is important to consider the reputation of the institution and the term times when planning to teach abroad. It is also recommended to take a course to teach abroad. In summary, if you are interested in volunteering to teach high school level maths and/or physics in a developing country, it is best to contact volunteering organizations and consider the reputation of the institution and term times. Taking a course to teach abroad is also recommended.
RK1992
Hi, I'm 18 and have just completed my A levels. I will be studying physical natural sciences at uni if I've got the grades in my a levels (I'm pretty sure I have)

I would like to volunteer teaching high school level maths and/or physics in quite a deprived country (somewhere in Africa, perhaps?)

The course that I will be doing will have short terms so I would finish my exams by around May and wouldn't have to report back at uni until October giving me a very long summer which I would like to do something productive in. I was awarded a bursary and on my application, I said I would like to do volunteering and I would love to try teaching people the beauties of maths and physics and trying to make younger students value their education and want to learn.

My question is, are there any countries where they would be happy for a student who had just finished their first year at university to teach high school level (so 12-16 yrs old)? Would the reputation of the institution have any bearing? And would I need to take a course to teach abroad?

Also, would term times be a problem?

Basically, anyone with any sort of experience doing something like this would be incredibly useful to hear from.

Thanks a lot :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I appreciate your intent.Developing countries needs the assistance of volunteers from abroad.If are are interested in volunteering abroad then it is better to contact the volunteering organizations that are active in volunteering abroad.

1. What are the benefits of volunteering abroad?

Volunteering abroad offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to immerse yourself in a new culture, gain a global perspective, and make a positive impact in a community. It also allows you to develop new skills, build your resume, and make meaningful connections with people from different backgrounds.

2. How do I choose a reputable volunteering program?

When researching volunteering programs, it's important to look for ones that have a clear mission and well-defined goals. You should also read reviews and testimonials from previous volunteers, check for accreditation, and ask for transparency in terms of program fees and how they are used.

3. What are the potential challenges of volunteering abroad?

Volunteering abroad may come with challenges such as homesickness, culture shock, and language barriers. It's important to mentally prepare for these challenges and have a support system in place. You should also research the country and its customs beforehand to better understand the culture and how to navigate any challenges that may arise.

4. How do I fund my volunteering trip?

There are various ways to fund your volunteering trip, including personal savings, fundraising, and applying for grants and scholarships. You can also look for volunteering programs that offer financial aid or cover some of the expenses, such as accommodation and meals.

5. What should I consider before volunteering abroad?

Before volunteering abroad, you should consider your skills and interests, as well as the type of work and location you are comfortable with. It's also important to research the organization and country you will be volunteering in, and make sure you have all necessary documents and vaccinations. Additionally, you should have realistic expectations and be willing to adapt to new situations and challenges.