Advice for my undergrad school decision

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between state-run colleges and the speaker's interest in applying to Pacific Lutheran University, Seattle University, University of Washington, Oregon State University, and University of Oregon for a major in physics. They also mention their possible minor in programming or math and their concern about their chances for graduate school programs in physics. The conversation also touches upon the strengths of OSU and UW's physics programs and the importance of visiting the schools to determine the best fit for the individual's learning style.
Thadis
Hello I am currently in the midst of filling out my applications to apply to a few colleges and I was wondering is there really a huge difference between state ran schools? I am looking to apply at Pacific Lutheran University, Seattle University, University of Washington, Oregon State Universtiy, and University of Oregon(for at least OSU and UO I would apply to the honors college and see if I get in). I should be able to get into most if not all these schools fairly easy but I was wondering is there one that is more well known for their physics programs then others or one that will give another type of advantage like internships? I am currently looking at majoring in Physics with a possible minor in programming or math. I know you probably see a lot of threads like this though I just worry a little because I do not have many people to talk to about advice for physics programs in my local area. I have to say,even though I haven't posted much on these forums, the posts I have posted and others that I have read have been extreamly helpful so I just feel like saying thank you guys for answers questions from people like me.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a very large difference between some of these schools. Try to find the average sat scores for these schools.

osu engineering (chemical) is pretty damn good imo. . .

Yeah mostly I am looking towards OSU and UW right now and hoping if I go to OSU I get into the honors college. I know none of these will be like MIT or anything but really just what I am wondering is will all of these give me a decent chance to go on to a graduate school program for physics?

Thadis said:
Yeah mostly I am looking towards OSU and UW right now and hoping if I go to OSU I get into the honors college. I know none of these will be like MIT or anything but really just what I am wondering is will all of these give me a decent chance to go on to a graduate school program for physics?

any school will do this. . .

Highway said:
any school will do this. . .
True and read this

Strength of UW and OSU's Physics Program

Hey I am a current high school senior and I am applying to colleges right now. The two schools that I really am looking at going to either would be the University of Washington or Oregon State University and majoring in physics. I have read the University of Washington has a strong physics program and saw that they are ranked in the top 20 general physics schools for graduate school. When I look up Oregon State though I can not really find much information on their physics program beyond that they use a differnet style of teaching then most college. I was wondering how does Oregon State's different style of teaching effect the quality of the education and would the University of Washington really be significatly better for me to go to education wise?

UW has a reputation as a very, very strong school. As far as whether Washington or Oregon State better fits your learning style, a visit would be a good way to tell.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate school?

There are several factors to consider when choosing an undergraduate school. These include academic programs and majors offered, location, cost and financial aid, campus culture and student life, and opportunities for internships and research. It's important to prioritize what is most important to you and make a list of schools that meet those criteria.

2. How important is the school's reputation?

The school's reputation can be important, but it should not be the only factor in your decision. A school's reputation can impact future job prospects and graduate school admissions, but it's also important to consider the specific program or major you are interested in and the resources and opportunities offered by the school.

3. Should I choose a school based on its ranking?

Rankings can be helpful in comparing different schools, but they should not be the sole factor in your decision. It's important to research the methodology behind the rankings and consider other factors such as the school's location, cost, and academic programs.

4. How much should I consider the cost of tuition when making my decision?

The cost of tuition should be a significant factor in your decision, as it can impact your future financial stability. However, it's important to also consider the value of the education you will receive and the potential return on investment. Look into scholarships, grants, and financial aid options to help make the cost more manageable.

5. Is it better to choose a large university or a small college?

There is no right answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and learning style. Large universities tend to offer a wider variety of academic programs and resources, while small colleges often have smaller class sizes and a more intimate learning environment. Consider what type of learning environment you thrive in and choose a school that aligns with that.