1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice need - Photonics - Telecoms or High power lasers and systems ?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    Advice needed - Photonics - Telecoms or High power lasers and systems ?

Hi !

I recently concluded a masters in photonic comms with a distinction, and I'm currently contemplating :

1) Studying further (PhD) and if so which path with respect to Future of Photonics
    2) Relocating (better career prospects , with respect to future of photonics. vs family commitments)

So, I would like to get any advice on,

1.) Which career path is better and has more potential - Photonics and Telecoms transmission etc or Photonics and High power laser systems etc or anything else ?

2.) I'm currently in the UK, contemplating moving to Aussie, is that a good place for photonics ? Is UK better ? or moving to U.S a better option ?
    ( I know its a very general and very broad question )

any advice and comments appreciated ! Thanks !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2
    You would move to Australia? Australia has good rep?
    I'm curious, as I'm from Australia, currently studying here and contemplating doing post-grad somewhere overseas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook