Cell Phone EM Waves - Health Risks & Physics Explained

In summary: I don't know if that word is the right one, but when the loop occurs, it is created by oscillating waves from the magnetic or electric changing field, which are in a way independent from their origin (parent charge).
Physics345

Homework Statement

A cell phone sends and receives electromagnetic waves in the microwave frequency range.

a) Explain the physics of how an oscillator creates these waves.

b) Research the possible side effects of using cell phones. citing at least three websites that you consider reliable, write a short 100-150 word paragraph summarizing three main conclusions based on your research and your opinion; in other words, will your cell phone usage change based on what you have learned?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

When we have an electric changing field somewhere in space (created by an antenna), it can be used to create a magnetic field, for this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field in space. Also if we have a changing magnetic field it also creates a changing electric field. These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a chain reaction; this was figured out by James Maxwell. When the chain reaction occurs it is created by oscillating waves from the magnetic or electric changing field, which are in a way independent from their origin (parent charge).b)

Mobile phones emit radio frequency energy, which is electromagnetic radiation; the radiation can be absorbed by human tissues that are near the phone. The amount of electromagnetic radiation that occurs is dependent on variables of distance, such as the distance between you and the phone the phone and the cell phone tower and even the type of phone. There is a theoretical risk factor of brain tumors and other health issues from the use of cell phones, but considering cellphones are fairly new we can’t be positive, more research needs to be conducted on frequent and long term use of cell phone risks to be established. The Danish cancer registry analysis has found no link between cell phone use and health risks yet for cell phone users of 13 years or more. The American cancer society believes that there could be some risk related to cancer. Therefore in my opinion the health risks related to cellphones are still inconclusive, more research and time needs to pass for me to decide whether I would reduce or completely stop using a cellphone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4350886/

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs193/en/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20483835

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:
When we have an electric changing field somewhere in space (created by an antenna), it can be used to create a magnetic field, for this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field in space. Also if we have a changing magnetic field it also creates a changing electric field. These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a chain reaction; this was figured out by James Maxwell. When the chain reaction occurs it is created by oscillating waves from the magnetic or electric changing field, which are in a way independent from their origin (parent charge).
I think I would prefer to say that the waves are created when electrons are accelerated in the antenna. A changing electric field alone (for instance, between metal plates) will not create radiation. You mention chain reaction, but the radiated electric and magnetic waves are in-phase.

Likes Physics345
I agree w/ tech99, "chain reaction" is not in play here.

Likes Physics345
Sorry guys bad wording once again, that is why I love this site and the people on it, with your broad understanding, you catch these things that I do not. Hopefully I will reach such a level one day.

I changed it up a bit what do you guys think?
When we have an electric field somewhere in space, it is created by electrons accelerating in an antenna between two metal plates (oscillator), which send the electric field into space. This electric field can be used to create a magnetic field. For this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field that is sent into space by sending a magnetic field as well causing them to change each other causing one their electrons to propagate up and down. These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a loop of electric fields changing into magnetic fields; this was figured out by James Maxwell. When the loop occurs, it is created by oscillating waves from the magnetic or electric changing field, which are in a way independent from their origin (parent charge).

Or

When we have an electric field somewhere in space, it is created by electrons accelerating in an antenna between two metal plates (oscillator). The antenna then sends the electric field into space. This electric field can be used to create a magnetic field. For this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field that is sent into space, by sending a magnetic field as well causing them to change each other causing the magnetic and the electric field to be perpendicular to each other. These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a loop of electric fields changing into magnetic fields; this was figured out by James Maxwell. When the loop occurs, it is created by oscillating waves from the magnetic or electric changing field, which are in a way independent from their origin (parent charge).

Last edited:
Okay I just realized there is some wrong statements in there so I've changed it once more
When we have an electric field somewhere in space, it is created by charges accelerating in an antenna between two metal plates (oscillator). The antenna then sends the electric field into space. This electric field can be used to create a magnetic field. For this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field that is sent into space, by sending a magnetic field as well, it will cause the two to connect. The magnetic field will move up and down in an oscillating motion and the electric field to move perpendicularly to the magnetic field (basically they are moving in a perpendicular motion to each other). These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a loop of radiated electric fields creating radiated magnetic fields and vice versa; this was figured out by James Maxwell.

Physics345 said:
Okay I just realized there is some wrong statements in there so I've changed it once more
When we have an electric field somewhere in space, it is created by charges accelerating in an antenna between two metal plates (oscillator). The antenna then sends the electric field into space. This electric field can be used to create a magnetic field. For this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field that is sent into space, by sending a magnetic field as well, it will cause the two to connect. The magnetic field will move up and down in an oscillating motion and the electric field to move perpendicularly to the magnetic field (basically they are moving in a perpendicular motion to each other). These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a loop of radiated electric fields creating radiated magnetic fields and vice versa; this was figured out by James Maxwell.
As far as I can see, an accelerating electric charge produces an electric transverse wave, and when this passes an observer we see an in-phase magnetic field.

tech99 said:
As far as I can see, an accelerating electric charge produces an electric transverse wave, and when this passes an observer we see an in-phase magnetic field.
What do you mean by an "observer"? Ahhh, why can't physics be as straight forward as math! there is so many terms I don't understand sadly, I'll get there one day!

Physics345 said:
What do you mean by an "observer"? Ahhh, why can't physics be as straight forward as math! there is so many terms I don't understand sadly, I'll get there one day!
Sorry to confuse you as this is not my intention, but the question of the EM wave is a puzzle for everyone.
The following Wiki page says that the magnetic field is just the electric field seen when we have relative movement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_electromagnetism

tech99 said:
Sorry to confuse you as this is not my intention, but the question of the EM wave is a puzzle for everyone.
The following Wiki page says that the magnetic field is just the electric field seen when we have relative movement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_electromagnetism
My school advises me to never use Wikipedia as a source of information. Would you happen to have a website with an authoritative reference.

I was also able to come up with a final answer tell me what you think.
When we have an electric field somewhere in space, it is created by charges accelerating in an antenna between two metal plates (oscillator). The antenna then sends the electric field into space. This electric field can be used to create a magnetic field. For this to occur all that is needed is a change in that electric field that is sent into space, by sending a magnetic field as well, it will cause the two to connect. The magnetic field will move up and down in an oscillating motion and the electric field moves perpendicularly to the magnetic field (basically in a right angled perpendicular motion). These two changes can reoccur on regular intervals creating a loop of changing electric fields creating changing magnetic fields and vice versa; this was figured out by James Maxwell. Radio waves are produced in this process. Cellphone communication is possible by transmitting these radio waves in the microwave frequency range with transmitting towers that have microwave mats, which are then sent to satellites in space in the form of signals (radio waves) allowing for communication through cellphones.I also created a diagram:

kqUdsv6.png
Also this song describes my feelings towards physics:

Attachments

• XXhsMu1.png
    XXhsMu1.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 504
  • kqUdsv6.png
    kqUdsv6.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
I feel this reply fulfils its purpose. Well done.

Likes Physics345
tech99 said:
I feel this reply fulfils its purpose. Well done.
Thank you sir!

1. What are EM waves and how are they related to cell phones?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of radiation that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. These waves are used in technology such as cell phones to transmit information wirelessly through the air.

2. Are there any health risks associated with cell phone EM waves?

While there is ongoing research, current studies have not found conclusive evidence that cell phone EM waves have harmful effects on human health. However, some studies suggest that long-term exposure to these waves may have a small increase in the risk of brain cancer.

3. How do cell phones emit EM waves?

Cell phones emit EM waves through their antennas, which convert electrical signals into radio waves. These waves then travel through the air to the nearest cell tower, where they are transmitted to the intended recipient's phone.

4. Is there a safe distance to keep between a cell phone and your body?

There is currently no consensus on a safe distance to keep between a cell phone and your body. However, it is recommended to use hands-free devices or speakerphone mode when possible and to limit cell phone use when the signal is weak, as the phone may emit more EM waves in these situations.

5. How do cell phone EM waves interact with the human body?

When a cell phone is held against the head, the EM waves can penetrate the skin and cause small amounts of heating in the tissue. However, this heating is not significant enough to cause harm. The waves can also interact with the body's cells, but current research has not found any negative effects at typical cell phone usage levels.