Advice on Applying to a PhD Program in Computational Biology

In summary, the speaker is a 4th year college student majoring in Biological Science with a minor in Mathematics. They are planning to apply to a PhD program in Computational Biology and Molecular Biophysics at their current institution. They have a 3.6 GPA and have taken advanced courses in Biology and Mathematics. They initially wanted to go to medical school but now have a strong interest in mathematical research in Physiology. They have taken a graduate course in the program and did well. They are unsure about what to do to improve their chances of admission and have been advised to take both the GRE general and subject exams. They are seeking opinions on which subject exam to take, either Biochemistry or Mathematics, and are confident in their abilities for
mathphysiolog
Hello everyone,

I'm in my 4th year of college as a Biological Science major with a minor in Mathematics and am ready to apply to a PhD program in Computational Biology and Molecular Biophysics at my current institution. Overall, I have about 3.6 with a lot of basic sciences at a Community College (I slacked in high school...) and have a whole bunch of more advanced Biology and Mathematics taken at my current institution. Initially, I intended to go to medical school but I would much rather do mathematical research in Physiology. :D The good news is, I have taken a graduate course that is offered in the Computational Biology and Molecular Biophysics program last Fall and did very well. Of course, I owe it all to the wonderful professor. Also, I am signed up for another graduate course in the same program next Fall.

My question pertains to admissions in the program, but I am not sure about what to do to help my chances. The program adviser have told me that I should take both the GRE general and GRE subject (be it whether Biochemistry or Mathematics), but if I were not to the the subject exam, then everything else would be weighted heavier (including my GPA, letter of recommendations, research, etc..). With my current background in Mathematics, I don't think I would do extraordinary due to lack of advanced courses. Surely, I am confident with my abilities on the general exam, just like everyone in this forum.

Sorry for the long email, but I felt it was important to show the details so that everyone has more to work with. Thank you very much for your time. Any opinions here would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If they've told you to take the subject exam, take a subject exam. Since you have a choice of two quite different subject exams that would benefit you in getting into the program, choose the one you think you'd do best in. If your strength is biological sciences, take the biochem exam. If your strength is more in math, take the math exam. You can study for those like any other exam, and there should be sample tests and prep books available as well, so you can see what types of questions are asked and brush up on any weak areas.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your background and aspirations for a PhD program in Computational Biology. It sounds like you have a strong foundation in both biology and mathematics, which are essential for success in this field. It is also great that you have already taken a graduate course in the program and have done well, as this demonstrates your interest and potential for success in the program.

In terms of admissions, it is always a good idea to follow the advice of the program advisor and take both the GRE general and subject exams. This will allow the admissions committee to have a more comprehensive understanding of your skills and knowledge in both biology and mathematics. However, if you feel that your background in mathematics may not be as strong as you would like, it may be beneficial to focus on strengthening your mathematics skills before taking the subject exam. This could involve taking additional courses or seeking out research opportunities in mathematics to demonstrate your abilities in this area.

Additionally, make sure to highlight your research experiences and any relevant coursework in your application. These are important factors that admissions committees consider when evaluating candidates. It may also be helpful to reach out to potential advisors or faculty members in the program to discuss your interests and potential research projects. This could help strengthen your application and demonstrate your passion and readiness for a PhD in Computational Biology.

Overall, my advice would be to continue building upon your strong foundation in biology and mathematics, and to make sure to showcase your skills and experiences in your application. Best of luck with your application process!

1. What is the typical application process for a PhD program in computational biology?

The application process for a PhD program in computational biology typically involves submitting an online application, including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a GRE score and/or a research proposal. After the initial application, there may be additional steps such as interviews or writing samples.

2. What qualifications and prerequisites are needed for a PhD program in computational biology?

Most PhD programs in computational biology require a bachelor's degree in a related field such as biology, computer science, or mathematics. Some programs may also require specific coursework in biology, programming, and statistics. Additionally, research experience and strong quantitative skills are highly valued.

3. What should I include in my personal statement for a PhD program in computational biology?

Your personal statement should highlight your interest and experience in computational biology, as well as your specific research interests and goals. You should also discuss any relevant coursework, research experience, and skills that make you a strong candidate for the program. It is important to tailor your personal statement to each program you are applying to.

4. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial component of the application process for a PhD program in computational biology. They provide insight into your academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from the perspectives of individuals who have worked closely with you. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and potential for success in a PhD program.

5. Are there any tips for making my application stand out?

In addition to having strong academic qualifications and research experience, there are a few ways to make your application stand out. This includes tailoring your personal statement and research proposal to each program, reaching out to potential advisors beforehand to express your interest and discuss your research ideas, and highlighting any unique experiences or skills that make you a unique candidate for the program.