Advice on fallback schools for physics

In summary, this person has a strong GPA and research experience, and is interested in studying theoretical or experimental areas in cosmology. They should apply to schools like Georgetown, Tufts, and University of New Mexico if they are interested in pursuing research in this area.
jjones1319
This has probably been brought up numerous times, but I need some advice on some mediocre to good fall back schools in physics.
My undergraduate GPA was a 3.72
Majors: Biochemistry, Math, and Physics
Research: 3 years of research on Batch pH Oscillatory systems (each year was basically a new system that we discovered pH oscillations in). My first year I was a lab assistant, and the following two years I was the lead researcher. I presented research at regional conferences all three years and won the best undergraduate poster presenter the final year.
I have also done 2 semesters of research in spectroscopy analysis were we measure the infrared optical constants, n and k, of liquid and solid materials that may appear in our solar system and those of other stars.
Also, I am TAing physics one at my undergraduate institution at the moment.
GRE
Quantitative:161
verbal:157
Physics:600

So obviously my Physics GRE was rather atrocious, I was just ill prepared and a bit ignorant on some of the basic GRE test taking strategies (my biggest lapse in judgement was not taking any practice exams).
So any advice would be great. Or if you have any further questions please let me know.
Also my letters of recommendations should be strong, two are from my research advisers, and the third is from the head of the physics department.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the location isn't that important to me. I will happily attend a graduate school abroad or anywhere in the country.

What type of research are you interested? Sorry if it is obvious based on your research description, but I am not too familiar with that.

On the other hand, it seems that you have a strong gpa and very good research experience! If you are interested in pursuing experimental areas ( which it seems), you have a good shot at even top 20 (maybe top 10) schools (only apply if your research interest aligns).

I know people with scores (gpa lower) similar to yours who have gotten accepted to places like Columbia and Yale. Research experience and LORs are weighed pretty heavily.

Your advisors will be able to give you the best suggestions if you want to continue to do research similar to what you have been doing. If you are interested in hep-th, I can help you out! =)

Thanks for the comment blue. I am interested in studying astro/cosmological physics, Biological physics, or High Energy. I know it is pretty broad, but I have areas in each I am passionate about.
On a completely unrelated note I hope anyone who reads this is having a wonderful Thanksgiving, and, assuming you ate as large a quantity of food as I did, a nice nap as well.

For Hep-ex, maybe check out University of New Mexico, University of Oregon, Notre Dame, and Duke?

If you are interested in theory for Cosmology, check out Tufts. I'm honestly not familiar with good places for experimental fields in general.

I had a wonderful thanksgiving! We even had a sprinkle of snow showers! =D Hope you ate well and had a relaxing nap!

Georgetown if you're interested in biophysics...

jjones1319 said:
some mediocre to good fall back schools in physics.

Fall back from which schools?

There aren't really any mediocre schools offering PhD's in physics. Only about 6% of 4-year colleges and universities do.

1. What are fallback schools for physics?

Fallback schools for physics are universities or colleges that offer strong physics programs as an alternative option for students who may not have been accepted into their top choice schools or who are looking for a backup plan.

2. How do I determine which schools are good fallback options for physics?

To determine which schools are good fallback options for physics, you can research their physics programs, faculty, research opportunities, and job placement statistics. You can also reach out to current students or alumni for their experiences and insights.

3. What should I consider when choosing a fallback school for physics?

When choosing a fallback school for physics, you should consider factors such as the strength of the physics program, the availability of research opportunities, the location and cost of the school, and its job placement rates. It's also important to consider if the school aligns with your academic and career goals.

4. Is it common to have a fallback school for physics?

Yes, it is common to have a fallback school for physics. The college admissions process can be competitive, and not all students are accepted into their top choice schools. Having a fallback school can offer students a sense of security and provide them with alternative options for achieving their academic and career goals.

5. Can I still be successful in physics if I attend a fallback school?

Absolutely. The success of a physics student depends on their dedication, hard work, and passion for the subject, rather than the name or ranking of the school they attend. Many successful physicists have graduated from fallback schools and have gone on to make significant contributions to the field.