Advice on How to Pursue a Career in Planetary Research

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Vishal Rana
Messages
23
Reaction score
2
Hi. Currently I’m 17 and I’m coming to the end of my first year of A levels. I have to start writing my ucas and applying for unis later this year.

I’m really interested in space and have always wanted to go down that route, however I’ve not had much guidance as what to do with my future in this sector as my school don’t offer anything to do with it. I’ve been researching a lot independently and now require some advice.

I would like to go into an area which I can research the stars and planets. So discovering new planets, finding out what they consist of and just general planetary research. However I’m not sure what steps to take into reaching this stage. What should I study at uni and where can I go after that? Should I just do physics with astrophysics at uni?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vishal Rana said:
Hi. Currently I’m 17 and I’m coming to the end of my first year of A levels. I have to start writing my ucas and applying for unis later this year.

I’m really interested in space and have always wanted to go down that route, however I’ve not had much guidance as what to do with my future in this sector as my school don’t offer anything to do with it. I’ve been researching a lot independently and now require some advice.

I would like to go into an area which I can research the stars and planets. So discovering new planets, finding out what they consist of and just general planetary research. However I’m not sure what steps to take into reaching this stage. What should I study at uni and where can I go after that? Should I just do physics with astrophysics at uni?
Nobody can tell you what you must or need to study for your career. This is something you need to solve for yourself. You could use guidance. YOUR interest as you describe, would be Physics and Astrophysics.