Advice on Switching from Physics to Engineering: Transferring from LAC

In summary, the speaker is a freshman at a top ten liberal arts college in the U.S. with a strong physics department. They initially believed they were interested in pure physics, but have since realized their true interest lies in engineering. They plan to transfer to a school in the northeast to pursue a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. They are seeking advice on courses to take and when the best time to transfer would be. They are also concerned about not being able to take the EIT exam and becoming a PE due to not having a bachelor's in engineering.
jrusselcbrown
This year I am a freshman at a top ten liberal arts college in the U.S. with a strong physics department. In case you need a little reference material on my academic background my fall semester GPA was 3.4 and my SAT scores from high school (reading & math) where a combined 1350. I am posting on the boards in search of some guidance.

I entered my current school with the belief that I was interested in pure physics and if I chickened out of grad school for physics I could "fall back" on a masters of engineering degree. What I failed to realize was that my interest was really in engineering in the first place and that selecting a school with no program was not a great way to start my collegiate career. Additionally without a bachelor's in engineering some states will not allow you to sit the EIT exam and the ones that do for engineering masters candidates (justifiably so) make you wait until the completion of your masters degree. This means that it is even later in your career when you can become a PE and I do not want to close any doors by not being licensed.

My goal now is to transfer into a school in the northeast to complete a bachelors of mechanical engineering. I will provide my freshman schedule so that readers can comment on courses I may want to take to get up to speed on engineering curriculum.

Fall Semester:
Foreign Language
Classical Physics (Mechanics, waves and some thermo) With Calculus
Calculus I
General Chemistry (Conceptual quantum chem, structure and bond theory, LCAO & VSEPR, LOTS of spectroscopy and some organic/inorganic/solid state nomenclature, reactions/synthesis techniques).

Spring Semester:
Writing/English Class
Classical Physics II w/ Calculus (Intro E&M)
Calculus II
Foreign Language.

Any comments would be appreciated. I am looking for advice on programs you may think I would be a good fit at and any suggestions or concerns you may have for a student in my position.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also when is the best time to transfer?

Sounds to me like you're taking the exact same schedule an engineering student would take at the freshman level. The difference between physics and engineering for the first year, and sometimes the first two, is mostly cosmetics and a throwaway intro course.

The best time to transfer is Fall, because most universities admit the bulk of new students at this time and structure their course schedules accordingly (for instance, scheduling more "part one" classes in the Fall, then more "part two" classes in the Spring).

1. What are the main differences between studying physics and engineering?

The main difference between studying physics and engineering is the focus of the curriculum. Physics is a more theoretical and mathematical discipline, while engineering is more applied and hands-on. Physics studies the fundamental laws and principles of nature, while engineering applies these principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Will my physics background be beneficial for studying engineering?

Yes, your physics background will definitely be beneficial for studying engineering. Many concepts in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity, are also essential to engineering. Your understanding of these concepts will give you a strong foundation for tackling engineering problems.

3. How can I prepare for the transition from a liberal arts college to an engineering program?

One way to prepare for the transition is to take courses in mathematics, physics, and computer science. These courses will help you develop the necessary analytical and problem-solving skills needed in engineering. It would also be helpful to research the specific engineering program you will be transferring to and familiarize yourself with its curriculum and requirements.

4. Will I have to start my engineering studies from the beginning?

It depends on the specific engineering program you are transferring to. Some programs may require you to start from the beginning and complete all the required courses, while others may give you credit for some of the courses you have already taken in physics. It is important to communicate with the engineering department at your new college to determine what courses you will need to take.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a physics and engineering background?

Having a background in both physics and engineering opens up a wide range of career opportunities. You can work in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, renewable energy, and telecommunications. Some common job roles for those with a physics and engineering background include mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, and software engineer.