Advice to improve myself in the maths

• Thread starter mr1batman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to improve one's math skills. The participants suggest watching YouTube channels like Numberphile and 3brown1blue, as well as purchasing textbooks and practicing problems. The conversation also touches on the challenges of buying books online without a visa and the potential for ordering through a local bookseller.
mr1batman
hello every body

i really don't love the maths and i want some advice's to improve myself in maths
suggest me articles or sites or apps on mobile
but try not to go to books because in my country i don't find books like that every where

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could tell us what level you're at currently?

Choppy said:
Perhaps you could tell us what level you're at currently?
i am actually in prep 2 but i don't think this school grade is in america or something so i can't explain it but i would accept any thing that would improve my maths skills
and if you have any advice's to improve the memory tell it to me too please

One way to improve your appreciation of math is to look at numberphile channel on YouTube where they interview practicing mathematicians about an interesting math problem.

Another YouTube channel is 3brown1blue who does some really beautiful presentations on math. He has a sequence on the essence of calculus and on linear algebra.

Likes mr1batman
jedishrfu said:
One way to improve your appreciation of math is to look at numberphile channel on YouTube where they interview practicing mathematicians about an interesting math problem.

Another YouTube channel is 3brown1blue who does some really beautiful presentations on math. He has a sequence on the essence of calculus and on linear algebra.
thanks man
i will take a deep look at them

Get some math textbooks and do every practice problem at the end of each chapter.

Likes mr1batman
Maybe you could order some books from bookdepository or amazon.
Sorry, but books are the way to learn everything...

One book I liked was Math 1001 by Prof Elwes

Its a catalog of math topics giving you some insight while encouraging to research it more.

Its about $20 usd on amazon

Likes mr1batman
Another question. Are you more interested in proving theorems or solving problems?

Likes mr1batman and symbolipoint
ISamson said:
Maybe you could order some books from bookdepository or amazon.
Sorry, but books are the way to learn everything...
it will be hard because my current is the Egyption pound
+ there is allot of money going to be payed + i don't have visa
maybe if i have visa i would but i don't do you have any idea about buying online and shipping ?

Krunchyman said:
Another question. Are you more interested in proving theorems or solving problems?
i am a bet interested in solving problems
theorems i study theorem and i study proving it
but i am weak in it so i am trying to improve myself

jedishrfu said:
One book I liked was Math 1001 by Prof Elwes

Its a catalog of math topics giving you some insight while encouraging to research it more.

Its about $20 usd on amazon
i have no idea about buying online and this thing can you help me in it inbox
knowing that i don't have visa + my current is egyption pound

mr1batman said:
i am a bet interested in solving problems
theorems i study theorem and i study proving it
but i am weak in it so i am trying to improve myself
I recently asked my abstract algebra professor about proof-based textbooks and he suggested a text called Introduction to Mathematical Structures and Proofs. It's aimed at ambitious undergraduates looking to prepare themselves for advanced proof-based courses. It's also designed for self-study so you may find it useful.

As far as problem solving goes, you might find it useful to practice some physics and differential equations. Morin and Taylor's books get recommended a lot here. The Art of Problem Solving lists math problems aimed at talented high school students. For a more computer sciency approach, try Project Euler. The problems are usually based on number theory and you have to write algorithms to solve them, so you will learn both analytical and computational approaches to solving problems.

Last edited:
Likes mr1batman
mr1batman said:
i have no idea about buying online and this thing can you help me in it inbox
knowing that i don't have visa + my current is egyption pound

Since you’re unfamiliar with online shopping, it would be better if you went to a local bookseller and ask them to order it for you. That was the way folks got rare books in the past.

Likes mr1batman
jedishrfu said:
Since you’re unfamiliar with online shopping, it would be better if you went to a local bookseller and ask them to order it for you. That was the way folks got rare books in the past.
i will try to do this
thanks

1. How can I improve my understanding of mathematical concepts?

Improving your understanding of mathematical concepts requires consistent practice and a strong foundation in basic principles. Make sure to review previous concepts before moving on to more advanced ones, and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and tutors if needed.

2. What are some effective study strategies for math?

Effective study strategies for math include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing regularly, and seeking out different types of practice questions to challenge yourself. It can also be helpful to explain concepts to others or create flashcards to reinforce your understanding.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Improving problem-solving skills in math involves identifying the key information and variables in a problem, creating a plan of attack, and checking your work for accuracy. It can also be helpful to practice with a variety of problem types and to think critically about different approaches to solving a problem.

4. What are some useful resources for learning math?

Useful resources for learning math include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and worksheets, and interactive games and apps. You can also seek out help from peers, teachers, or tutors if you are struggling with a particular concept.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning math?

Staying motivated while learning math can be challenging, but setting specific goals, celebrating your progress, and finding real-world applications for the concepts you are learning can help. It is also important to take breaks and ask for help when needed, as frustration can often lead to lack of motivation.