1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aeroplane follows circular trajectory-Tension? (geometry)

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So, I have this problem here that's pretty basic, but the solution manual sets different axes, and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the geometry part, meaning how he applies the given forces to the new axes.

A model airplane of mass 0.750 kg fl ies with a speed of 35.0 ms in a horizontal circle at the end of a 60.0 m control wire. The forces exerted on the airplane are shown in Figure P6.63: the tension in the control wire, the gravitational force, and aerodynamic lift that acts at θ = 20.0° inward from the vertical. Compute the tension in the wire, assuming it makes a constant angle of 20.0° with the horizontal.

First of all, here's the main pic:

OV3OmFy.jpg

2. Relevant equations

It's the geometry part that gives me trouble.

3. The attempt at a solution

He finds the radius of the circular trajectory that the plane follows:

6VwAOuT.jpg

No trouble here, we just take the direction of T as the hypotenouse and going with cosθ = r/l finds the radius.

Then there's this:

iwjSW2n.jpg
    English is not my native language, so I'm not sure whether he means that x and y are the crossed lines, or the lines that "fall on top" the directions of T & F respectively. From the test I'm getting the latter, but if I try to apply the usual cosx = adjacent/hypotenouse and sinx = opposite/hypotenouse, I can't figure out how he gets his results.

I'd appreciate some help!

PS: I know this isn't exactly a "problem" with statements and such, but it's only this part that troubles me, and I didn't know where else to post it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The book defines x as at 20 degrees to the horizontal, along the line of the tether. Correspondingly, y is at 20 degrees to the vertical, along the line of the lift force.
    Please clarify where you have difficulty with the resulting equations.

4. Dec 13, 2016 #3
    How he gets that Fgx = Fg*sin(20) & acx = ac*cos(20). I know that he uses the formulas of cosine and sine, but I can't figure out how he gets these particular results.

5. Dec 13, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What would you calculate for the component of Fg in the x direction?

6. Dec 13, 2016 #5
    I worked at it again and realised I was looking at it wrong. The new axes confused me and I lost my train of thought. If I'm not mistaken, it should look something like this:

ETVFDhk.jpg

I go by the previous x & y axes, I take the directions the acceleration and Fg had on them, and then I create a net force based on the new axes. Correct? (there might be a misconception or two in my wording, but I'm still trying to get the hang of the english scientific terms).

7. Dec 13, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that looks right. At least, I see you now get Fgx=Fgsin(θ). Is the rest ok now?

8. Dec 13, 2016 #7
    Yeah, that was the only part I had trouble with, not with the formulas themselves. I've got the acceleration vectors on the left as well, so that's all.

Thanks for taking the time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted