Aeroplane follows circular trajectory-Tension? (geometry)

In summary, the author is having trouble understanding the geometry part of the homework, and is trying to solve the problem using the previous x and y axes, and then creating a net force based on the new axes.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

So, I have this problem here that's pretty basic, but the solution manual sets different axes, and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the geometry part, meaning how he applies the given forces to the new axes.

A model airplane of mass 0.750 kg fl ies with a speed of 35.0 ms in a horizontal circle at the end of a 60.0 m control wire. The forces exerted on the airplane are shown in Figure P6.63: the tension in the control wire, the gravitational force, and aerodynamic lift that acts at θ = 20.0° inward from the vertical. Compute the tension in the wire, assuming it makes a constant angle of 20.0° with the horizontal.First of all, here's the main pic:

OV3OmFy.jpg

Homework Equations

It's the geometry part that gives me trouble.

The Attempt at a Solution

He finds the radius of the circular trajectory that the plane follows:

6VwAOuT.jpg

No trouble here, we just take the direction of T as the hypotenouse and going with cosθ = r/l finds the radius.

Then there's this:

iwjSW2n.jpg

English is not my native language, so I'm not sure whether he means that x and y are the crossed lines, or the lines that "fall on top" the directions of T & F respectively. From the test I'm getting the latter, but if I try to apply the usual cosx = adjacent/hypotenouse and sinx = opposite/hypotenouse, I can't figure out how he gets his results.

I'd appreciate some help!

PS: I know this isn't exactly a "problem" with statements and such, but it's only this part that troubles me, and I didn't know where else to post it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darthkostis said:
I'm not sure whether he means that x and y are the crossed lines, or the lines that "fall on top" the directions of T & F respectively.
The book defines x as at 20 degrees to the horizontal, along the line of the tether. Correspondingly, y is at 20 degrees to the vertical, along the line of the lift force.
Please clarify where you have difficulty with the resulting equations.

haruspex said:
The book defines x as at 20 degrees to the horizontal, along the line of the tether. Correspondingly, y is at 20 degrees to the vertical, along the line of the lift force.
Please clarify where you have difficulty with the resulting equations.

How he gets that Fgx = Fg*sin(20) & acx = ac*cos(20). I know that he uses the formulas of cosine and sine, but I can't figure out how he gets these particular results.

Darthkostis said:
How he gets that Fgx = Fg*sin(20) & acx = ac*cos(20). I know that he uses the formulas of cosine and sine, but I can't figure out how he gets these particular results.
What would you calculate for the component of Fg in the x direction?

haruspex said:
What would you calculate for the component of Fg in the x direction?

I worked at it again and realized I was looking at it wrong. The new axes confused me and I lost my train of thought. If I'm not mistaken, it should look something like this:

ETVFDhk.jpg

I go by the previous x & y axes, I take the directions the acceleration and Fg had on them, and then I create a net force based on the new axes. Correct? (there might be a misconception or two in my wording, but I'm still trying to get the hang of the english scientific terms).

Darthkostis said:
I worked at it again and realized I was looking at it wrong. The new axes confused me and I lost my train of thought. If I'm not mistaken, it should look something like this:

ETVFDhk.jpg

I go by the previous x & y axes, I take the directions the acceleration and Fg had on them, and then I create a net force based on the new axes. Correct? (there might be a misconception or two in my wording, but I'm still trying to get the hang of the english scientific terms).
Yes, that looks right. At least, I see you now get Fgx=Fgsin(θ). Is the rest ok now?

haruspex said:
Yes, that looks right. At least, I see you now get F[SUBgx][/SUB]=Fgsin(θ). Is the rest ok now?

Yeah, that was the only part I had trouble with, not with the formulas themselves. I've got the acceleration vectors on the left as well, so that's all.

Thanks for taking the time!

1. What is a circular trajectory?

A circular trajectory is the path an object takes when it moves in a circular motion. It is a continuous curve that follows a circular shape.

2. How does an aeroplane follow a circular trajectory?

An aeroplane follows a circular trajectory by constantly adjusting its direction and speed. The wings of the aeroplane generate lift, which allows it to stay in the air and maneuver in a circular path. The pilot also uses the control surfaces, such as the ailerons and rudder, to adjust the angle and direction of the plane.

3. What is tension in the context of an aeroplane following a circular trajectory?

Tension refers to the forces acting on the aeroplane's wings as it follows a circular trajectory. These forces include lift, weight, thrust, and drag. The tension, or balance, between these forces allows the aeroplane to maintain a stable circular trajectory.

4. How does geometry play a role in an aeroplane's circular trajectory?

Geometry plays a crucial role in an aeroplane's circular trajectory. The shape and size of the wings, as well as the angle of attack, determine the amount of lift generated. The aeroplane's shape also affects its aerodynamics, which can impact its ability to follow a circular trajectory. Additionally, the pilot uses geometric principles to navigate and adjust the plane's direction and speed.

5. What factors can affect the tension in an aeroplane's circular trajectory?

Several factors can affect the tension in an aeroplane's circular trajectory. These include changes in air density, weather conditions, and the weight and distribution of the aeroplane's load. The aeroplane's speed and direction can also impact tension, as well as any external forces, such as turbulence or wind gusts. The pilot must constantly monitor and adjust for these factors to maintain a stable circular trajectory.