1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in a circular wire with force radiating outwards

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let's say there's a uniform circular wire with radius [itex]r[/itex]. There is a uniform force pushing outward from the center in all directions of the wire. This total force is 10N. What is the tension in the wire?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Let's say the circle is on an xy coordinate axis with its center at the origin. I think the tension is equal to the total force in the y-direction on the top semicircle. The y-component of the force on the bottom semicircle will be equal in magnitude and in the opposite direction.

To find the the force, we integrate. [itex]dF = \frac{10}{2\pi r} dL[/itex]. For the component in the y-direction, [itex]dF = \frac{10}{2\pi r} \sin{θ} dL[/itex] by some simple geometry. [itex]dL = rθ[/itex], so we now have [itex]dF = \frac{10}{2\pi} \sin{θ} dθ[/itex]. Integrating from [itex]θ=0[/itex] to [itex]θ=\pi[/itex], we get that [itex]F=\frac{10}{\pi}[/itex], which is the tension.

I'm moderately sure my math is correct, but my real question is whether I found the tension! I'm not very sure if this correctly defines the tension in the circle.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean dL = r dθ, right?
    Your method is right, but you have overlooked one detail. Draw the free body diagram for one half of the loop. What are all the forces?

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3
    Oh, the force I found, [itex]\frac{10}{\pi}[/itex] wouldn't be the tension because the force gets divided evenly into 2. Then the tension would be [itex]\frac{5}{\pi}[/itex]?

5. Jan 15, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook