Aerospace Rails - Floor of Military aircraft

In summary, for the installation of a radome on the underside of an aircraft, the ideal choice for mounting rails would be the standard 19" MIL-STD-810G or MIL-STD-1472F rails. These rails are designed to withstand high levels of vibration and shock and can be found from various suppliers such as Dzus, AirGlide, and Pelican. It is recommended to consult with the aircraft's manufacturer or an aviation engineer for proper installation and compatibility. Good luck with your project!
greydient
I am looking for aerospace mounting rails...I remember that in the cargo bays of several large military aircraft, there are long rails with threaded holes that are used to bolt 19" racks, chairs, etc too.

I need to select rails to install on the underside of an aircraft to support a radome, and thought these would be good to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are referring to Brownline Track:
http://www.cargosystems.com/store/product.php?productid=25&cat=0&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

I believe you are referring to the standard 19" mounting rails commonly used in military aircraft. These rails are also known as MIL-STD-810G or MIL-STD-1472F rails. They are designed to withstand high levels of vibration and shock, making them ideal for mounting heavy equipment such as radomes.

You can find these rails from various suppliers, such as Dzus, AirGlide, and Pelican. They come in different lengths and can be customized to fit your specific needs. I suggest checking with the aircraft's manufacturer or consulting with an aviation engineer to ensure proper installation and compatibility with your specific aircraft.

I hope this helps in your search for aerospace mounting rails. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of aerospace rails on the floor of military aircraft?

Aerospace rails on the floor of military aircraft serve multiple purposes. They provide a secure mounting point for equipment and cargo, allow for easy access to components for maintenance and repair, and can also act as a structural support for the aircraft.

2. How are aerospace rails attached to the floor of military aircraft?

Aerospace rails are typically attached to the floor of military aircraft using a combination of bolts, screws, and brackets. The specific method of attachment may vary depending on the type of aircraft and the weight and function of the equipment being mounted.

3. What materials are aerospace rails made of?

Aerospace rails are typically made of lightweight yet strong materials such as aluminum or titanium. These materials are able to withstand the stresses of flight while also being able to support heavy equipment and cargo.

4. How do aerospace rails impact the weight and balance of military aircraft?

Aerospace rails can have a significant impact on the weight and balance of military aircraft. The weight of the rails themselves, as well as any equipment or cargo that is mounted on them, must be taken into account during flight planning to ensure the aircraft remains within safe weight and balance limits.

5. Are aerospace rails standardized across all military aircraft?

While there are some general guidelines and standards for aerospace rails, they are not necessarily standardized across all military aircraft. Each type of aircraft may have its own unique rail system depending on its design and intended use. However, there may be some similarities or interchangeable parts among certain aircraft models and manufacturers.