Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affine Varieties - the x-axis in R^2

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    In Dummit and Foote, Chapter 15, Section 15.2 Radicals and Affine Varieties, Example 2, page 681 begins as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The x-axis in [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] is irreducible since it has coordinate ring

[itex] \mathbb{R}[x,y]/(y) \cong \mathbb{R}[x] [/itex]

which is an integral domain."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone please help me to show formally and rigorously how the isomorphism

[itex] \mathbb{R}[x,y]/(y) \cong \mathbb{R}[x] [/itex] is established.

I suspect it comes from applying the First (or Fundamental) Isomorphism Theorem for rings ... but I am unsure of the mappings involved and how they are established

Would appreciate some help>

Peter

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2
    Consider ##\Phi: R[X,Y]\rightarrow R[X]: \sum \alpha_{ij}X^i Y^j \rightarrow \sum \alpha_{i0}X^i##. So we evaluate the polynomial in ##0##. These evaluation maps usually work in these contexts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook