Affordable Mathematical Software for Students and Professionals

In summary: It's free and open source, so you can modify it to suit your needs.I heard that gnuplot is really good, but I just don't have the time to learn it. I also heard that gnuplot is really hard to learn.In summary, I think that there are cheaper options for mathematics software, but it really depends on what you need it for.
kant
I am interest in some type of mathematical solfwares. I heard mathematia is good, but i just think it is too expensive. I think it cost 1800 dollars for mathematica professionals, and 138 dollars for mathematia for students. Are there ways to get mathematica cheaper? If i do buy mathematica for student; how much to upgrade it to professional after i graduate? Are there cheaper math solfwares? perhaps some math freeware?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the first question to ask is how powerful of a program do you want? What do you plan to use it for?

I actually don't know too much about what's out there but I received Matlab for free from my school (as a TA) and love it. There is a ton of stuff it is capable of that I'm pretty sure I won't use.

i love math, so mathematica is a nice toy. on the professional side, I am also going to double major in physics and engineering

Try maxima before spending money on mathematica:

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

I might still get mathematica myself, as there are lots of books using it, and I couldn't figure out how to do space curves with maxima.

If you want some free mathematical softwares, then Maxima is one of the best. I used it for, like, years, and still love it. :approve: It can take limits, as well as derivatives, and integrals. :cool:
As Daverz pointed out, Maxima can be downloaded here
And if you want to work in some nicer environment, then you can also download wxMaxima, which is free, too, http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/.
Maple or Mathematica are decent softwares in mathematics. So if you can, just get one of them. They are both good. Maple has a more friendly environment, while Mathematica is famous for its fast and rigid calculation.

Maxima is a free Mathematica look-a-like.

Octave is a free MATLAB look-a-like.

Which you should use depends on whether you're doing symbolic math (where Mathematica excels) or doing numerical computation (where MATLAB excels).

- Warren

Maple is my favorite [for what I do].

I use gnuplot for quick and dirty plotting.

Related to Affordable Mathematical Software for Students and Professionals

1. What makes mathematical software "affordable" for students and professionals?

The affordability of mathematical software for students and professionals can be determined by several factors. Some software may offer discounted prices for students or have special subscription plans for professionals. Additionally, the features and capabilities of the software may also play a role in its affordability, as more expensive software may have advanced features that are not necessary for students or professionals.

2. Is there a difference between mathematical software for students and professionals?

Yes, there can be a difference between mathematical software for students and professionals. While both may perform similar functions, software for students may be more user-friendly and have a lower cost, as it is designed for educational purposes. Professional software, on the other hand, may have more advanced features and tools that are necessary for complex calculations and data analysis.

3. Can affordable mathematical software still provide accurate results?

Yes, affordable mathematical software can still provide accurate results. The cost of software does not necessarily determine its accuracy. However, it is important to research and read reviews of the software to ensure its reliability and accuracy before purchasing.

4. Is there a free option for mathematical software?

Yes, there are some free options for mathematical software, such as open-source software or trial versions of paid software. However, these free options may have limited features and may not be as comprehensive as paid software. It is important to assess your needs and research the capabilities of the free software before using it for professional or academic purposes.

5. Can mathematical software be used for various fields of study?

Yes, mathematical software can be used for various fields of study. While some software may be specifically designed for a certain field, such as engineering or statistics, many mathematical software have a wide range of applications and can be used in different fields. It is important to select a software that aligns with your specific needs and area of study.