1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Afraid of not having a physics job :(

1. Jun 22, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone !
    I am 18 years old boy who want to study physics major but I am afraid of not having a job into physics , I want to be a researcher /scientist , I am totally passionate about the physics and I have a very good mathematical skills , What is your advice for me .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm afraid you should not count on a job as a research physicist. These are highly competitive, and it would be a mistake to tie your happiness into getting that job, just as it would be a mistake to tie your happiness to being an astronaut, or acrobat, or movie star, or...

4. Jun 22, 2017 #3
    "fear is the mind killer"

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4
    I think it is a mistake to tie my happiness to it , My family has a pharmaceutical company and I can easily wort with them , they want me to study a pharmacy degree but i have no passion or any interest in biological sciences , the thing is that i don't find my self in any other sciences but physics

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

At least you could give more information about your situation as done.

If no "passion" for biological sciences, and interest is in Physics and you WANT to be a "researcher", then consider making plans to study Engineering and be able to be a "developer" or "designer". Also, what kind of Engineer, might you be? Could you make plans to study Chemical Engineering? Then maybe you might still be able to work with or for your family, since producing pharmaceutical items can still require engineering expertise.

7. Jun 23, 2017 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, there is no guarantee of ANY job in ANY fields.

What you should always do, and I tell this to ALL my students, is that pursue what you want to pursue, but at the SAME TIME, broaden your horizons and your skills so that in case what you want to do does not work out, you have something else to fall back on! This means that even if you have the ambition of being a string theorist, you do not dismiss computer programming classes, or even do experimental research work to learn how to fabricate thin films. In other words, if and when the opportunity arises, do work that are not strictly within the narrow field of interest. You just never know if the skills that you acquire from these other areas might just be the one that land you the job later on.

However, more importantly, where you are in this world also matters in gaining such employment. An outstanding physicist in the field of cosmology may be much sought after in Europe, China, Japan, N. America, etc... but he/she will have a tougher time finding a job in, say, Sudan or Namibia.

So there is a lot of variables in landing a job that you want. Most of us who are lucky enough to work as physicists can never predict the exact path that we are on now. A lot of things can happen and can change. As they say, Life Happens While You Are Making Plans.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted