Is Pursuing An Academic Carrer (in Mathematical Physics) Stressful?

In summary, this person is worried about whether or not a career in academia is right for them and is considering pursuing a different career path. They are open to any suggestions on how to make this choice easier.
Ege_O
Hey everyone, I am a new member. This post is about something that bothers me a lot and will affect my future. I am not sure whether I'm pursuing a carrer that is right for me.

I graduated from the physics department of Middle East Technical University in Turkey with 3.45/4.00 CGPA this year. I've always wanted to be a theoretical/mathematical physicist since the elementary school. I took String Theory, General Relativity, Particle Physics courses in my undergraduate years. I've imagined myself thinking about the deep questions in physics and teaching it. I am searching for a master program in Europe nowadays.

However, many people around me and on the internet say that a career in academia is very competitive and not well-paid. I am afraid that if do PhD in mathematical physics it will be too late to change my career and I will be unable to find a job outside the academia since the areas I am interested in are relativity, foundations of quantum mechanics and so on.

I don't want to live a rich life or be a professor at the top universities, however, I don't want to live a stressful life either. I want to have a stable job with sufficient salary and little amount of stress. I am open to any suggestions. I recently conderider pursuing a career in other areas such as particle physics, cosmology or quantum computation, however, my dream job will always be theoretical physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
There really isn't much of a way around it. Academia is competitive no matter how you look at it. For a rough rule of thumb there are an order of magnitude more PhD graduates than there are professor positions. So most PhD graduates end up leaving the academic world through no fault beyond simple statistics.

One bit of advice here is to decouple the term "career" from the term "education." Your education is what you study in school. Your career is what you'll end up doing to feed yourself. The two are correlated, obviously, but just because you study one field doesn't mean you're electing to embark on a career in it.

None of this is to say you shouldn't study what you want. That's where your passion lies and if you're really sure about it - pursue your dreams with your education. But be smart about it. Build a BACKUP PLAN.

That way if you finish your PhD and realize that things aren't going the way you thought, you've got some options to feed yourself. I can't tell you exactly how to do this. But you might want to think about picking up some programming skills to go with your theoretical studies, or doing an internship.

Likes Ege_O
Choppy said:
There really isn't much of a way around it. Academia is competitive no matter how you look at it. For a rough rule of thumb there are an order of magnitude more PhD graduates than there are professor positions. So most PhD graduates end up leaving the academic world through no fault beyond simple statistics.

One bit of advice here is to decouple the term "career" from the term "education." Your education is what you study in school. Your career is what you'll end up doing to feed yourself. The two are correlated, obviously, but just because you study one field doesn't mean you're electing to embark on a career in it.

None of this is to say you shouldn't study what you want. That's where your passion lies and if you're really sure about it - pursue your dreams with your education. But be smart about it. Build a BACKUP PLAN.

That way if you finish your PhD and realize that things aren't going the way you thought, you've got some options to feed yourself. I can't tell you exactly how to do this. But you might want to think about picking up some programming skills to go with your theoretical studies, or doing an internship.

This is the exactly the way I've decided to follow. Nowadays I am looking for mathematical physics master in Europe but as a back up plan I want to develop in programming especially in data science and machine learning.

Thanks a lot for your answer, it gave me courage to walk along this path.

1. What are the main stressors in pursuing an academic career in mathematical physics?

The main stressors in pursuing an academic career in mathematical physics include the pressure to publish original research, the intense competition for funding and positions, and the high expectations for teaching and mentoring students.

2. How do academics in mathematical physics manage their workload and avoid burnout?

Academics in mathematical physics often manage their workload by prioritizing tasks, setting realistic goals, and seeking support from mentors and colleagues. They also practice self-care techniques such as exercise, mindfulness, and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

3. Is the job market for academic positions in mathematical physics competitive?

Yes, the job market for academic positions in mathematical physics is highly competitive. There are often many qualified candidates for a limited number of positions, making it challenging to secure a tenure-track position or obtain funding for research.

4. Can pursuing an academic career in mathematical physics lead to work-life balance?

While pursuing an academic career in mathematical physics can be demanding, it is possible to achieve work-life balance. This may involve setting boundaries, delegating tasks, and finding ways to recharge outside of work. It is important for academics to prioritize their well-being in order to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. What are some potential benefits of pursuing an academic career in mathematical physics?

Some potential benefits of pursuing an academic career in mathematical physics include the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research, the ability to mentor and inspire future scientists, and the potential for job stability and intellectual fulfillment. Additionally, academic positions in mathematical physics often offer competitive salaries and benefits.