Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Age and structure of the Universe

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1

A recommended lecture on the age and detailed structure of the Universe, listed in reference 1.

George Smoot is a Nobel Prize in Physics laureate for his work on COBE.

Primordial fluctuations simulation by Andrey Kravtsov:

TED - George Smoot: The design of the universe
    Formation of the large-scale structure in the Universe: filaments
    Blueprints of Creation - Michael A. Strauss
    Astronomy 191 - lecture 14
    Thinking Inside the Box

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Good find! thanks.
    Here's an alternative link
    this mp4 version is slow to download but higher resolution, I think.

beautiful fly-through representiations of the wispy structure of the universe
    with colorcoded ordinary matter superimposed on dark matter (shown by different color)

voids, superclusters, cobweb strands, zooming in to individual galaxies

and in one case he shows a simulation of how the structure could have formed---in this case only the skeleton of dark matter is shown, with it starting at around Z=25 or 30
    nearly uniform, and then gradually coagulating by the action of gravity into strands separated by voids, and superclusters condensing where strands happen to cross.

Apparently the talk was given in May 2008 in Pasadena, and posted online Novemeber, just recently.
  4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Thank also for these! The Kravtsov computer simulations are excellent. I like this especially:
    I see that Smoot used Kravtsov's movies in his TED talk.
    This was a good one too:
    I watched the halfsize MP4 version of the movie because it is very easy to download, only about 2.4 MB.
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    In the video, George Smoot mentions how the 3D animation of the 'filaments' was rendered using a desktop. I'm talking about the Kravtsov computer simulations, not the one requiring the 100 cpu supercomputer.

What software is needed for that..?
  6. Nov 26, 2008 #5
    Andrey Kravtsov simulation software...

The Andrey Kravtsov simulation software used P3D, which is a collection of simple and efficient fortran 77 routines, which can be used with the PGPLOT graphics library with a standard fortran 77 compiler.

Any qualified computer programmer should be able to compile and plot three-dimensional particle distributions and the same routines using the reference information listed below.

Andrey Kravtsov's home page
    P3D: Fortran routines for plotting and manipulating 3D particle distributions with PGPLOT
    PGPLOT Graphics Subroutine Library
    PGPLOT installation instructions

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  7. Nov 30, 2008 #6
    this file is 232mb. anything within my lifetime spring to mind???
  8. Dec 1, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Ten or 15 minutes should suffice. You can have it do that in the background while you do other stuff. That is how I did it.

You click on the link and a TED image comes up, with a bar underneath. Don't start the media until the bar is at least halfway full. To see how long it takes I just started it at 3:25 and then created a second screen and am talking to you. In a while I will go back and look and see how much has filled up.

OK it is now 3:30 and it is about 1/4 filled up. So that will make it about 10 minutes to fill halfway. Then it is safe to start watching. So you click on the small triangle that means "play".

The point is you don't have to wait around during those ten minutes. You can do other stuff and come back to it at your convenience. I think I will go watch now. It is fantastic to see the first largescale structures of the universe take shape from the barest quantum ripples.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?