Aharonov-Bohm information propagation

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of information on change in the magnetic flux of a solenoid in a double-slit setup. It is noted that the interference pattern is controlled by the vector potential set up by the solenoid, and changes in the vector potential propagate at the speed of light. The question of whether this propagation is in the form of photons is also raised.
ddd123
I hope I've searched the forums thoroughly enough, I didn't find a similar question. I'm wondering about the specifics of the speed of the information on change in B of the solenoid between the two paths in a double-slit setup, one large enough where relativistic speed effects are within a measurable range. Obviously I'm assuming ftl communication is impossible. For instance, you can move the solenoid some distance from the slits, as long as it cuts through the surface enclosed by the paths. But even if it's close, where would one observe the "starting point" of the change in the magnetic flux (i.e. the delay between the change in B and the change in the interference pattern)? At the slits, or from where the solenoid is located, basing on what? And is that still compatible with the non-locality of the phenomenon?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The interference pattern is controlled by the vector potential set up by the solenoid. Changes in the vector potential will propagate outward from the solenoid at the speed of light.

Likes Demystifier
Would that be in the form of photons? Thanks.

What is Aharonov-Bohm information propagation?

Aharonov-Bohm information propagation is a theory in quantum mechanics that proposes that information can travel through empty space without being affected by electromagnetic fields. It suggests that information can be encoded in the topology of the space-time fabric and travel along closed loops, similar to the way electric charge is affected by magnetic fields.

How does Aharonov-Bohm information propagation differ from traditional methods of information transfer?

Traditional methods of information transfer involve sending signals through a physical medium, such as wires or radio waves. In contrast, Aharonov-Bohm information propagation does not require a physical medium and instead relies on the topology of space-time to transmit information.

What evidence supports the existence of Aharonov-Bohm information propagation?

There have been several experiments that have demonstrated the effects of Aharonov-Bohm information propagation, such as the Aharonov-Bohm effect, which shows that a charged particle can be affected by an electromagnetic field even when it is shielded from it. Additionally, quantum entanglement experiments have shown that information can be instantaneously transmitted between particles separated by large distances, supporting the idea of non-local information transfer.

Can Aharonov-Bohm information propagation be used for practical applications?

Currently, there are no known practical applications for Aharonov-Bohm information propagation. However, its potential for non-local communication and information transfer has sparked interest in its potential use for quantum communication and computing.

Are there any criticisms of the Aharonov-Bohm information propagation theory?

Some physicists have raised concerns about the lack of experimental evidence and the paradoxical implications of the theory, such as the possibility of time travel. Additionally, the concept of non-local information transfer goes against our current understanding of causality and locality in physics. However, others argue that the theory is consistent with the principles of quantum mechanics and should be further explored through experimentation.