1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air bubbles in pool

1. Jul 29, 2012 #1
    When you kick around in a pool or lake, air bubbles seem to stream from your feet... But what causes this?

Is it air being pulled down from the surface, or oxygen from the water molecules, or something else entirely?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes.

There's one other way bubbles can occur in water - but I doubt even the best swimmer can kick fast enough to cause cavitation.

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently the right term for what is happening is 'ventilation'. It happens with boat propellers operating too near the surface.

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yep. Learned that one recently while repairing my motor. The big wing on outboards just above the propellor is called an anti-ventilation plate.

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF certainly does widen our horizons - in the rush to be the best informed poster of the day. :wink:

7. Jul 30, 2012 #6
    Well that wing on outboard engines used to be called a 'cavitation plate'. I wonder if air pulled from the surface [ventilation] is now distinguished from cavitation which is a pressure induced phenomena in liquids??

Anyone have a reference that uses 'ventilation' for such bubble induced wear and tear? Wikipedia, for example, discusses what I have always known as 'cavitation' issues. I have never seen 'ventilation' terminology in marine applications. Maybe they modified terms??

I can verify that certain prop wear on larger boats, bubble induced noise on props,and even oscillation induced metal wear in water cooled cylinder liners in some diesel engnies [ like the Detroit Diesel 53 series] is called 'cavitation'. It is common practice in some older boats to double up on hull thickness right over props and sometimes inlcude sound deadening material there to combat such unwanted noise. In wet liner diesel engines, the manufacturer [DD] specificies certain additives in engine coolants and or antifreeze..nitrites, if I recall.

8. Jul 30, 2012 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is another way. But I doubt the swimmer is hot enough to cause boiling :biggrin:.

@Naty1 <-> sophiecentaur and DaveC426913: I think you are talking about different effects.

9. Jul 30, 2012 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was waiting for that comment. I managed to restrain myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook