1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air burst testing with concrete (scaled down)

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    Hi guys, litterely just signed up today and am liking the site.
    Ill cut to the chase.

I am designing a concrete barrier to resist explosions, ballistics and heavy impact. Now while I am still an apprentice at structural engineering, My knowledge in mechanics and general physics isn't amazing, although I enjoy both subjects. Heres the problem.

At my lab, the closest I can get to recreating a blast is using a device that can blast air out at 120 psi.
    now the structures I am going to be building and testing are going to be scaled down by 10.

is 120 psi going to be enough to test until failure? Concrete can take a compressive force of a few thousand psi, but when it comes to a sudden impact or blast, this dramatically drops.

But because of the scale, I'm not really sure how this works or how I should compensate. any ideas? any help or ideas from anyone with knowledge on the subject would be great. thanks in advance.

ps the scaled down model I wlil be building will lie approx 10-20 cm in height with a thickness of no more then 3 cm. I'm still only at the beginning of research and design, so I'm just looking into feasibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    Sounds like you might have to build a pneumatic cannon. Maybe with an intensifyer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook