Rienforced Concrete Column Cost Optimization with Genetic Algorithm

In summary, a Civil Engineering student has developed a software using a genetic algorithm to optimize reinforced concrete columns for a 17 stories building, leading to unusual but cheaper results. The optimization focuses on lowering overall costs, including materials and workload. The criteria for recycling formwork is based on the similarity of faces in two stories. Results can be found in a provided link. The student notes that costs in their origin country of Bolivia are cheaper for labor compared to materials, especially steel which must be imported. The student is looking for feedback on the feasibility and safety of this design.
Amurrioe
Hi, I'm a Civil Engineering student doing my final project for my BE degree. I have developed a software that uses a genetic algorithm for optimizing reinforced concrete columns. I have tested my program with a 17 stories building, and got some very unusual results in the design but much cheaper. I would to hear some opinions regarding the feasibility of constructing this design in terms of security, if the desgin complys satisfactory with the norm (ACI) and if there would be dificulties with the conections of longitudinal reinforce between each story

The optimization is focues in lowering the overal costos, which includs material and workload costos of concrete, reinforced and formwork.

The criteria for recycling the formwork is done for each diferent face in the column, and only if the faces are the same for two stories down. For example, the sizes of the columns for the stories 6,7,8,9 are 45x55,45x55,40x55,40x55 (cm). In this case, for the stories 8 and 9, the formwork for both parallels faces with dimension 55 cm are recycled because the 8th story uses the same two planks used in the 6th story for the faces with 55 cm, and the 9th story uses both planks of the 7th story for the faces with 55 cm. But the other faces of story 8 are not able to be recycled because story 8 has 40 cm and story 6 has 45 cm and the same happens with the 9th story.

The results are in the following link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10fsqCq7PQZLj1kyHr5BxeztUbavQa7KOb7gnKGrsKEI/edit?usp=sharing

It is also important to note that I have worked with costs from my origin country (Bolivia), and costs of man workload are very cheap compared to material costs. Specialy steel because all steel has to be imported into the country.

Engineering news on Phys.org
send me your coding to see that and then i can tell you where you have problem.
Amurrioe said:
Hi, I'm a Civil Engineering student doing my final project for my BE degree. I have developed a software that uses a genetic algorithm for optimizing reinforced concrete columns. I have tested my program with a 17 stories building, and got some very unusual results in the design but much cheaper. I would to hear some opinions regarding the feasibility of constructing this design in terms of security, if the desgin complys satisfactory with the norm (ACI) and if there would be dificulties with the conections of longitudinal reinforce between each story

The optimization is focues in lowering the overal costos, which includs material and workload costos of concrete, reinforced and formwork.

The criteria for recycling the formwork is done for each diferent face in the column, and only if the faces are the same for two stories down. For example, the sizes of the columns for the stories 6,7,8,9 are 45x55,45x55,40x55,40x55 (cm). In this case, for the stories 8 and 9, the formwork for both parallels faces with dimension 55 cm are recycled because the 8th story uses the same two planks used in the 6th story for the faces with 55 cm, and the 9th story uses both planks of the 7th story for the faces with 55 cm. But the other faces of story 8 are not able to be recycled because story 8 has 40 cm and story 6 has 45 cm and the same happens with the 9th story.

The results are in the following link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10fsqCq7PQZLj1kyHr5BxeztUbavQa7KOb7gnKGrsKEI/edit?usp=sharing

It is also important to note that I have worked with costs from my origin country (Bolivia), and costs of man workload are very cheap compared to material costs. Specialy steel because all steel has to be imported into the country.

send me your coding to see that and then i can tell you where you have problem.

Hi, thanks for replying. I don't have a problem in the code, I only would like to hear some comments on the design, if it is applicable in real life.

1. How does a genetic algorithm work?

A genetic algorithm is a type of optimization algorithm that is inspired by the process of natural selection. It works by creating a population of potential solutions and using techniques such as crossover and mutation to evolve and improve these solutions over multiple generations. The algorithm evaluates each solution based on a fitness function and selects the best solutions to continue evolving until an optimal solution is reached.

2. What is the benefit of using a genetic algorithm for reinforced concrete column cost optimization?

The benefit of using a genetic algorithm for reinforced concrete column cost optimization is that it can quickly and effectively explore a large search space to find the most cost-efficient solution. This is especially useful for complex problems with many variables, as the algorithm can handle multiple constraints and find the best combination of parameters to minimize cost.

3. How is the fitness function determined in this application of genetic algorithm?

In this application, the fitness function is determined by the cost of the reinforced concrete column. The algorithm evaluates each potential solution by calculating the cost of materials, labor, and other factors, and the solution with the lowest cost is considered the fittest. The fitness function can also be adjusted to consider other factors, such as structural stability or environmental impact.

4. Are there any limitations to using a genetic algorithm for reinforced concrete column cost optimization?

Like any optimization algorithm, there are limitations to using a genetic algorithm for reinforced concrete column cost optimization. The accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the initial population and the chosen fitness function. Additionally, the algorithm may struggle with highly constrained or complex problems, and may require significant computational resources to run.

5. How can the results of the optimized reinforced concrete column design be verified?

The results of the optimized reinforced concrete column design can be verified through physical testing and analysis. Once the optimal solution is determined by the genetic algorithm, it can be compared to traditional design methods and tested in a controlled environment to ensure its structural integrity and cost-effectiveness. Additionally, the algorithm can be run multiple times with different parameters to ensure the consistency and accuracy of the results.

Back