1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air flow pipe size reduction|Incompressible&Lossless COMPLETED ANSWER

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q4. A horizontal air duct reduces from 0.75 m2
    to 0.20 m2
    a) Assuming no losses and an incompressible fluid, what pressure change will occur when 6 kg/s
    of air flows through the duct? Use a density of 3.2 kg/m3
    for these conditions.
    b) Is the incompressible assumption justified?
    c) If the jet exits the smaller pipe and strikes a vertical wall, what force will it transmit?

2. Relevant equations

MassFlowRate = rho.V.A
    Bernoullis

3. The attempt at a solution

rho(A).Velocity(A).Area(A)=mass flowate therefore Velocity(A) = 2.5
    Mass Flow Rate is Constant
    rho(A).Velocity(A).Area(A)=rho(B).Velocity(B).Area(B) therefore Velocity(B) = 9.375
    Bernoullis - can't be bothered typing original equation will just type final rearrangement
    Pressure(A) - Pressure(B) = [(Velocity(B)^2 - Velocity(A)^2)Rho]/2 which equals 130.625 Pascals pressure difference. Seems a bit low?

For part b, is the incompressible assumption justified? I don't think that it is, because it's density it is a gas and would definitely compress which may explain the results from part A?

For Part C) I'm not so sure of this, I think it would be the Absolute pressure over the area of the Jet so (x Pascals / 0.2 m^2) but I am not sure how to find the absolute pressure, only the difference. Thanks :D
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2
    For Part C, I've used the equation P(Dynamic) = [rho.V^2]/2 giving a dynamic pressure of 140.625 Pa and verifying my answer from part 1. Then Using P=F/A -> F = PA I've calculated a force of 28.125N. I am worried that I am ignoring static pressure but I can't see any other way with the information provided.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted