Air resistance and Air density?

In summary: If this is just a question that's been assigned and you're expected to know how to deal with air resistance then I suggest you look through some of your recommended reading or class notes because I doubt they'd let you go unequipped. If its a problem solving class then they probably want you to derive something for air resistance yourself.
Tomm42
I've never worked with air resistance before so any help just getting me started would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

A 20 kg object falls free from a height of 15 m. Including air resistance, what will its position be after 0.6 seconds? Air density is 1.11 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

The only equation I know for this is d = 0.5 * g * t^2
and I don't know if there are any equations for air resistance. And does air density have anything to do with this at all? :confused:

Well, I don't really know how to deal with air resistance since we haven't gone through that and still our teacher wants us to solve this. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be helpful to know what kind of class you're taking.If this is just a question that's been assigned and you're expected to know how to deal with air resistance then I suggest you look through some of your recommended reading or class notes because I doubt they'd let you go unequipped. If its a problem solving class then they probably want you to derive something for air resistance yourself.

I don't think you can solve this. You need to find out the friction force with the air. Density is directly proportional to the friction force, but it depends what shape the object has. If it is aerodynamic (or not), the friction force varies from shape to shape.

I think there is a formula relating friction force due to the air to V^2.
Have you ever used that?

Last edited:
husky88 said:
I don't think you can solve this.
Well, I don't think that is the case here, since the question is clearly a homework/coursework type question!

Kurdt's advice is the best; look through your textbook to see if there are any cases of air resistance being included in a projectile question. There are many models for air resistance, ranging from the relatively simple, to the highly complex, and thus it would help us to know your background before suggesting one for you to work with.

Sometimes it happens that problems are formulated wrong in a textbook.

I don't know, from my point of view, there are too many variables.
The force of air resistance increases with time until it becomes equal to Fg and the object reaches its terminal speed.
The only formula I found was
D = Cd * .5 * r * V^2 * A
where
D = drag
Cd = drag coefficient
r = air density
v = velocity
A = reference area on which drag coefficient is based
And again too many variables.

Last edited:
husky88 said:
Sometimes it happens that problems are formulated wrong in a textbook.
:uhh: I don't think that one should automatically assume that the textbook is incorrect!

I don't know, from my point of view, there are too many variables.
The force of air resistance increases with time until it becomes equal to Fg and the object reaches its terminal speed.
The only formula I found was
D = Cd * .5 * r * V^2 * A
where
D = drag
Cd = drag coefficient
r = air density
v = velocity
A = reference area on which drag coefficient is based
And again too many variables.

As I said earlier, there are many ways in which one can incorporate air resistance into a problem. I think we should ask the original poster to look in his book for such a discussion, rather than try and deduce which equation he should use! I'd say that, more often than not, if a problem is in a textbook, then it is soluble!

Ok, ok I give up...

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object, resulting in a force that slows down the object's movement.

2. How does air density affect air resistance?

Air density is a measure of how many air molecules are present in a given volume. Air resistance increases as air density increases because there are more air molecules for the object to collide with, resulting in a greater opposing force.

3. How does the shape of an object affect air resistance?

The shape of an object greatly affects the amount of air resistance it experiences. Objects with a larger surface area perpendicular to the direction of motion experience more air resistance, while objects with a streamlined shape experience less air resistance.

4. What factors affect air density?

Air density can be affected by temperature, pressure, and humidity. As temperature increases, air density decreases and vice versa. Higher pressure results in higher air density, while higher humidity can decrease air density.

5. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape of an object to make it more streamlined, reducing its surface area and therefore decreasing the number of air molecules it collides with. Additionally, increasing the speed of an object can also reduce air resistance due to the decrease in relative air density at higher speeds.