Airflow for engine room ventilation

In summary, this equation is used to calculate the airflow needed for heat evacuation in a engine room. The equation is empirical and can change depending on the arrangement of the air intake on the internal combustion engine. My role is to investigate on the factor of 0.4 and find out the variable affecting it.
xereux
hello fellow engineers!
i just started work at a marine company and was assigned to investigate on this formula.
it is from ISO 8861 and used to caculate the airflow needed for heat evacuation in a engine room.
this is the formula,
airflow needed = (heat emitted from engine and all other sources)/(air density X specific heat capicity of air X change in temp) - 0.4(air needed for combustion in engine) - air needed for combustion in boiler.

i don't understand the second half of the equation. i was told that this is a empirical formula and the value of 0.4 can change under special arrangement in the engine room.
my role is to investigate on the factor of 0.4 and find out the variable affecting it.
has anyone came across this equation before or anyone has any idea how should i approach this problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
xereux said:
hello fellow engineers!
i just started work at a marine company and was assigned to investigate on this formula.
it is from ISO 8861 and used to caculate the airflow needed for heat evacuation in a engine room.
this is the formula,
airflow needed = (heat emitted from engine and all other sources)/(air density X specific heat capicity of air X change in temp) - 0.4(air needed for combustion in engine) - air needed for combustion in boiler.

i don't understand the second half of the equation. i was told that this is a empirical formula and the value of 0.4 can change under special arrangement in the engine room.
my role is to investigate on the factor of 0.4 and find out the variable affecting it.
has anyone came across this equation before or anyone has any idea how should i approach this problem?

Hey..Hey.. I am looking at the same problem. I personally think that the arrangement of the air intake on the internal combustion engine in relation with the heat source is the deciding factor. If most of the airflow pass through the heat soource first before being consume by the engine than the factor use will be higher than 0.4. Just my humble opinion, do you have any better explanation than this that you want to share.

What is airflow for engine room ventilation?

Airflow for engine room ventilation refers to the amount of air that is being circulated and exchanged within an engine room to ensure proper ventilation and cooling of the machinery and equipment.

Why is proper airflow important for engine room ventilation?

Proper airflow is important for engine room ventilation because it helps to remove excess heat and exhaust gases from the engine room, preventing overheating and potential damage to the machinery. It also helps to maintain a safe working environment for personnel.

How is airflow measured in engine room ventilation?

Airflow in engine room ventilation is typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) or cubic meters per hour (CMH). This measurement is taken at various points within the engine room to ensure that the proper amount of air is being circulated.

What factors affect airflow in engine room ventilation?

Several factors can affect airflow in engine room ventilation, including the size and layout of the engine room, the number and type of machinery and equipment, the location and size of air vents, and the ambient temperature and humidity.

How can proper airflow be maintained in engine room ventilation?

To maintain proper airflow in engine room ventilation, it is important to regularly clean and maintain air vents and exhaust fans, ensure that they are not blocked by debris or obstructions, and regularly monitor and adjust the ventilation system as needed to meet the specific needs of the engine room.