Algebra 2 textbook recommendations please

In summary: A fun leisure time activity I did many years ago was basically what I suggested or described. I went to places where I could find used books and looked for whatever was of interest which was usually various Mathematics textbooks. I bought a few; and some I reviewed from. I would not have obtained the same sense of adventure trying to search for something specific online.
mark2142
I am currently learning some maths from “Precalculus by James Stewart”.
I was wondering if that’s ok? Is it ok to just dive straight into it or go back and brush up my algebra 2 ?
I was wondering what are some good textbooks on algebra 2 by the way?
Thank you.
(This is all for the love of physics).

Physics news on Phys.org
mark2142 said:
Is it ok to just dive straight into it or go back and brush up my algebra 2 ?
That depends on your Algebra 2 skills, doesn't it?

mark2142 said:
what are some good textbooks on algebra 2
I have not found one with better problems than the venerable Spitzbart and Bardell.

Likes mark2142
mark2142 said:
I was wondering if that’s ok? Is it ok to just dive straight into it or go back and brush up my algebra 2 ?
Thank you.
never looked at Stewarts percalculus book, but most us books titled pre-cal are a combination of algebra 2 and trig. so you should be fine...

Likes symbolipoint and mark2142
MidgetDwarf said:
never looked at Stewarts percalculus book, but most us books titled pre-cal are a combination of algebra 2 and trig. so you should be fine...
I read that somewhere. Thank you. That will save a lot of money :)

mark2142 said:
Thank you.
"Brushing Up" on Algebra 2 (or Intermediate Algebra) is always a good idea. You should be able to find some such books to use from any or most used-book sales. If you are interested in some good specific author names try these:
  • Lial & Miller
  • Aufman, Barker, & Nation
  • Wright & New
  • others too but right now cannot remember

symbolipoint said:
"Brushing Up" on Algebra 2 (or Intermediate Algebra) is always a good idea. You should be able to find some such books to use from any or most used-book sales. If you are interested in some good specific author names try these:
  • Lial & Miller
  • Aufman, Barker, & Nation
  • Wright & New
  • others too but right now cannot remember
I have an urgent need to clear my concept on solving equations involving radicals. Does any of those books have that?
If not please specify one!

mark2142 said:
I have an urgent need to clear my concept on solving equations involving radicals. Does any of those books have that?
If not please specify one!
yes

Poster has been reminded not to request PDF links to copyrighted books
symbolipoint said:
yes
Can you provide me pdf link to the book?
I can’t find one.

mark2142 said:
I can’t find one.
No. The books are in hardbound conventionally printed form. Go to a library used-book sale in or around where you live.

Likes berkeman
mark2142 said:
I can’t find one.
I think you are over thinking at this point. Just go on amazon, search for pre-calculus choose an author, and buy the cheapest edition. Another place to look for deals is using the search feature on bookbinder.

Likes mark2142
MidgetDwarf said:
I think you are over thinking at this point. Just go on amazon, search for pre-calculus choose an author, and buy the cheapest edition. Another place to look for deals is using the search feature on bookbinder.
The reason for my response in the way I gave it was because the old-style ways of finding resources work very well for the purpose, and along that way, the fancy modern ways are absolutely not necessary and are less natural. I do not doubt that what you suggest would work; but it's just that many so many great older books in hardbound form are available and for VERY VERY low prices, like not more than $2.

symbolipoint said:
The reason for my response in the way I gave it was because the old-style ways of finding resources work very well for the purpose, and along that way, the fancy modern ways are absolutely not necessary and are less natural. I do not doubt that what you suggest would work; but it's just that many so many great older books in hardbound form are available and for VERY VERY low prices, like not more than $2.
Not you, the OP.

MidgetDwarf said:
Not you, the OP.
I hope that means you're fine with what what I advised.

A fun leisure time activity I did many years ago was basically what I suggested or described. I went to places where I could find used books and looked for whatever was of interest which was usually various Mathematics textbooks. I bought a few; and some I reviewed from. I would not have obtained the same sense of adventure trying to search for them "online".

MidgetDwarf said:
I do fear that if I don’t go in linear fashion I’ll get stuck in future. I have precalculus book in paperback. I will continue with it for now. Thanks!

mark2142 said:
I do fear that if I don’t go in linear fashion I’ll get stuck in future. I have precalculus book in paperback. I will continue with it for now. Thanks!
If you have a GOOD precalculus book, chances are it is like an intermediate algebra book but just goes further. It might also have some review sections about Intermediate Algebra; but Pre-Calc part equivalent to College Algebra does contain Intermediate Algebra.

mark2142 said:
Who is the author of your book?

A natural instructional flow happens from Introductory Algebra to Intermediate Algebra to College Algebra. Taking an actual Intermediate Algebra book to review from is still a very good way to revive skills and knowledge in preparation for College Algebra (or for Pre-Calculus).

symbolipoint said:
Who is the author of your book?
James Stewart.
symbolipoint said:
Taking an actual Intermediate Algebra book to review from is still a very good way to revive skills and knowledge in preparation for College Algebra (or for Pre-Calculus).
Yeah! I think I need that.

My guess is that any Mathematics book with James Stewart the author would be a very good or excellent one.

Likes mark2142
As I try to remember, another combined author set for a good intermediate algebra book is Gilbert & Perez; I am not sure those names exactly. I will need to look for that book, buried in a bag underneath other bags.

mark2142 said:
Yeah! I think I need that
Check out the intermediate algebra book by Lial, you can find old editions pretty cheap at bookfinder.com

Likes Mondayman and symbolipoint
If you intend to go to Grad School in Math, I'd suggest a book in Advanced Calculus, which will give you an overview of most of the material you will likely run into.
If you just want to dig deeper into Algebra, maybe try Bhattacharya, a book between undergrad and grad levels.

WWGD said:
If you intend to go to Grad School in Math, I'd suggest a book in Advanced Calculus, which will give you an overview of most of the material you will likely run into.
If you just want to dig deeper into Algebra, maybe try Bhattacharya, a book between undergrad and grad levels.
Do I need advanced calculus in higher physics?
If so I will buy it.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
mark2142 said:
If so I will buy it.
It will make your Math stronger. There are some legit free downloads out there. I mean, authorized by the writers .

mark2142 said:
If so I will buy it.
Focus on finishing basic calculus first. Then basic physics. Then you'll have a better idea of where to go from there.

Likes mark2142

1. What are some highly recommended Algebra 2 textbooks?

Some popular Algebra 2 textbooks include "Algebra 2: Integration, Applications, Connections" by Glencoe, "Algebra 2" by McDougal Littell, and "Algebra and Trigonometry: Structure and Method, Book 2" by McDougal Littell.

2. Are there any Algebra 2 textbooks that are specifically designed for visual learners?

Yes, there are several Algebra 2 textbooks that incorporate visual aids and diagrams to help visual learners understand concepts better. Some examples include "Algebra 2: Visualizing, Interpreting, and Solving Problems" by Key Curriculum Press and "Algebra 2: Explorations and Applications" by Cengage Learning.

3. Are there any online resources or digital versions of Algebra 2 textbooks available?

Yes, many Algebra 2 textbooks have online resources and digital versions available. Some publishers, such as Pearson and McGraw-Hill, offer digital versions of their textbooks for purchase. Additionally, there are various online platforms, such as Khan Academy and MathHelp.com, that offer free Algebra 2 resources and lessons.

4. What are some important factors to consider when choosing an Algebra 2 textbook?

When choosing an Algebra 2 textbook, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the teaching style and approach, the availability of online resources, and the cost. It is also helpful to read reviews and get recommendations from other teachers or students.

5. Are there any Algebra 2 textbooks that align with specific state or national standards?

Yes, many Algebra 2 textbooks are aligned with state or national standards, such as the Common Core State Standards. Some publishers, such as Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw-Hill, offer textbooks that are specifically designed to align with these standards.