Algebra age riddle word problem

In summary: The truth value of the equations stays the same, as long as you do these operations on both sides of the equation.
late347

Homework Statement

son and father and granpa have same value for their birthday (except the year ostensibly)

father is nine times the son's age now. calculate the granpa's age now.

clues
- five years ago, grandpa was 32 years older than what the father was at five years ago.
-in five years time, granpa will be 56 years older than what the son would be in five years time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

son's age = x

father's age = 9x

granpa = y

five years ago, everybody was younger and limber and more active at these values

x-5
9x-5
y-5 (however granpa was at this age already somewhat older than the father.)

it was said that five years ago granpa was much older than the father at that same time. we must balance the equation between granpa and father

y-5 = 9x-5 +56

y= 9x +56I got stuck there with nowhere to go about solving the problem.

This was prob the second most difficult problem in our math class...?:)
Clues would be welcome as to what would be prudent tactic to solve this dreadful age riddle .

Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:

Homework Statement

son and father and granpa have same value for their birthday (except the year ostensibly)

clues
- five years ago, grandpa was 32 years older than what the father was at five years ago.
-in five years time, granpa will be 56 years older than what the son would be in five years time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

son's age = x

father's age = 9x

granpa = y

five years ago, everybody was younger and limber and more active at these values

x-5
9x-5
y-5 (however granpa was at this age already somewhat older than the father.)

it was said that five years ago granpa was much older than the father at that same time. we must balance the equation between granpa and father

y-5 = 9x-5 +56

y= 9x +56
Five years ago grandpa was 32 years older than what the father was at five years ago.
And there is the other condition, five years later.

ehild said:
Five years ago grandpa was 32 years older than what the father was at five years ago.
And there is the other condition, five years later.
Y-5= 9x -5 +32
Y= 9x +32

The other equation was that the granpa and son

X+5 +56 = y+ 5 ((now granpa and son are equal age as prescribed))I was wondering about the mathematical theory behind the solving methods for simultaneous equations

What exactly speaking is allowed in terms of operations and manipulation with regard to these groups or pairs of equations. (Without disturbing the solution for the group or pair)

In any normal equation like... only one of them.

You are allowed to put things or take things from both sides in equal measure. BUT don't multiply or divide by zero (I think)

This lack of knowledge really affected my confidence at tackling the problem at first.

It seems to me though that the sons age and fathers age cannot really be tied into the simultaneous equations as the third equation? There were no other clues than the father is 9 times son's age currently.

There were 3 statements about the ages of son, father and grandpa.

clues
This resulted in the equations you found at the end:
Y-5= 9x -5 +32
X+5 +56 = y+ 5
or eliminating the "5" :
Y=9x+32
x+56=Y

You can make the Y-s equal :9x+32=x+56 and solve for x. Then add 56 to get Y.
Watch this video about methods of solution of linear systems of equations.

I made one equation pair such that

Y= 9x + 32
Y=× +56

I assume that the truth value of simulatenous equa stays the same when one flips the equation from one side simply by rearranging it.

Y= k × a
K×a = y
a×k =y
Y= a×k

Multiply by (-1) and add together
-y = -x -56

Y= 9x +32

0 = 8x -24
24 = 8x
X= 3
Son's age currently seems to be 3

Plug x=3 into for example the
Y= 9x +32
Y= 27 +32
=59

Granpa is 59 years currently.

I thought about making a table at the end to see whether or not all the clues are fulfilled or not

In future the son is 3+5=8
In future the granpa is 59 + 5= 64
64-8 =56
Age difference is good.

Currently son is 3 and father is 9x3= 27

Seems plausible. The father is old enough to be an adult and have children biologically.

In the past father was 27-5=22
In the past granpa was 32+27-5=54

54 -22= 32 age difference is good

Well done!

late347 said:
I made one equation pair such that

Y= 9x + 32
Y=× +56
You can simply write that 9x+32=x+56.

ehild said:
Well done!You can simply write that 9x+32=x+56.
Can you answer my question about whether it is allowed to rearrenge individual equation inside the simultaneous equations bracket?

Rearrenge one equation witj respect to the others such that

A×B +c= D
D= c + B×A

Etc

Does the truth value remain the same even with the above type of rearranging?

My own guess is that the ordering of the terms anf the equations in simultanous equations only matters when...
One uses computer solver
One uses matrix technique with pen and paper (I once knew how to do the matrix method but I have forgotten long since everytging about it)

You can apply all identities of addition and multiplication inside every equations. And an equations is valid either you write A=B or B=A. You spend the same amount of money if you buy two pens, each for 1$ first, then a book for 3$; or a book for 3$ first, and then two pens, each for 1$ .

1. What is the algebra age riddle word problem?

The algebra age riddle word problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves using algebraic equations to solve for the ages of people or objects in a given scenario.

2. How do you solve an algebra age riddle word problem?

To solve an algebra age riddle word problem, you need to carefully read the scenario and identify the unknown variables. Then, you can set up a system of equations using the given information and use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve for the unknown values.

3. Can you give an example of an algebra age riddle word problem?

Sure, here's an example: "John is 6 years older than twice Mary's age. In 3 years, Mary will be 10 years old. How old is John?"

4. What are some tips for solving algebra age riddle word problems?

Some tips for solving algebra age riddle word problems include: carefully reading and understanding the scenario, identifying the unknown variables, setting up a system of equations, and using algebraic methods to solve for the unknown values. It's also helpful to check your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can algebra age riddle word problems be applied in real life?

Algebra age riddle word problems can be applied in real life situations, such as calculating the ages of family members or friends, determining the age of an artifact or historical event, or solving problems related to investments or loans. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in many professions.