Interesting Problem from Gelfand's Algebra; Relevance?

In summary: That's still a problem, but I think it is a more interesting problem.In summary, Gelfand's problem asks if the father of the son of NN and the son of the father of NN are the same person. If NN has a biological son x, then x's biological father must be NN. If NN has a biological father y, then y's biological son is not necessarily NN because NN could have brothers.
Axel Harper

Homework Statement

Problem 63 from Gelfand's book Algebra asks "are the father of the son of NN and the son of the father of NN the same person?"

Homework Equations

This problem is in a section about the square of a sum formula.
(a+b)2 = a2+2ab+b2

The Attempt at a Solution

If NN has a biological son x, then x's biological father must be NN. If NN has a biological father y, then y's biological son is not necessarily NN because NN could have brothers.
When I first did this problem a couple years ago I wondered how this was relevant at all. Now I interpret this as Gelfand's way of introducing the idea that both a2 and (-a)2 equal a2. Rational exponents are covered already in an earlier section. Can anybody confirm this, or does anyone have a differing interpretation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Axel Harper said:
If NN has a biological son x, then x's biological father must be NN. If NN has a biological father y, then y's biological son is not necessarily NN because NN could have brothers.

I would think you're right. If you are, the answer would be "not always".

Axel Harper said:

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first did this problem a couple years ago I wondered how this was relevant at all. Now I interpret this as Gelfand's way of introducing the idea that both a2 and (-a)2 equal a2. Rational exponents are covered already in an earlier section. Can anybody confirm this, or does anyone have a differing interpretation?

Why does NN have to be male?

My thought was that the purpose of the problem is to encourage thinking about variables. In math history there were problems with solving ##x^2 = 4##. Mathematicians would avoid a negative solution, such as ##x=-2##. Similar issues arose with imaginary numbers.

I thought NN could be a woman. We may bias our interpretation of a variable if we impose a restriction.

thelema418 said:
Excellent point !

thelema418 said:

That's a good point. I think we could still interpret the problem in the same manner if NN is a woman because we still can't guarantee that her son's father is the same person as her father's son.

1. What is Gelfand's Algebra?

Gelfand's Algebra, also known as the Gelfand-Tsetlin algebra, is a mathematical concept developed by the Soviet mathematician Israel Gelfand. It is a mathematical framework for studying the representations of Lie groups and their associated algebras.

2. What is an interesting problem from Gelfand's Algebra?

One interesting problem from Gelfand's Algebra is the classification of finite-dimensional irreducible representations of simple Lie algebras. This problem has real-world applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields.

3. Why is this problem relevant?

This problem is relevant because it has implications in various fields of study, including mathematical physics, quantum mechanics, and representation theory. It also provides a deeper understanding of the structure and behavior of Lie groups and their associated algebras.

4. What are some approaches to solving this problem?

There are several approaches to solving this problem, including the use of Cartan subalgebras, root systems, and Dynkin diagrams. Other techniques involve the use of representation theory, combinatorics, and algebraic geometry.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this problem in various fields such as quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. It has also been used in the study of crystal structures, molecular orbitals, and particle physics.