1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra in Constant Motion Derivation.

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    [tex] x = x_o + v_0\Deltat + \frac{1}{2} a ( \Delta t )^2 [/tex]

[tex] If [/tex] [tex] \frac{v - v_0}{a} = \Delta t [/tex]

[tex] x = x_0 + v_0 (\frac{v - v_0}{a} ) + \frac{1}{2}a(\frac{v - v_0}{a})^2[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow 2 a (x - x_0) = 2v_0v - v_0^2 + v^2 - 2v_0v v_0^2 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow 2 a (x - x_0) = v^2 - v_0^2 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0) [/tex]

My Question is about this part;

[tex] x = x_0 + v_0 (\frac{v - v_0}{a} ) + \frac{1}{2}a(\frac{v - v_0}{a})^2[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow x - x_0 = (\frac{v_0v - v_0^2}{a}) + (\frac{v^2 - 2v_0v + v_0^2}{2a}) [/tex]

Where did the [tex] a [/tex] in the [tex] \frac{1}{2}a [/tex] from the part [tex] \frac{1}{2}a(\frac{v - v_0}{a})^2[/tex]

go to? I don't see how it works. I imagine the [tex]1[/tex] numerator multiply's the [tex] {v - v_0}[/tex] and the

denominator [tex]2[/tex] multiples the [tex]a[/tex] from the fraction [tex] (\frac{v - v_0}{a})^2[/tex]
    but I can't see what happens to the [tex]a[/tex] outside the brackets...

And, during this part;

[tex] \Rightarrow 2 a (x - x_0) = 2v_0v - v_0^2 + v^2 - 2v_0v v_0^2 [/tex]

To clarify, the [tex] 2v_0v - v_0^2 [/tex] comes from the fact every part of the equation is multiplied by [tex] 2a[/tex] and the [tex]a[/tex] cancels that fraction leaving just the two, right?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    To answer your first question, when you square the a that is in the denominator is cancels the a from the (1/2*a) leaving only one a in the denominator. For your second equation, not every part of the equation is multiplied by 2a, it is just to get common denominators. When you do this, you see one term cancels and you can see the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook