1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra - make the assumption?

1. Jul 28, 2013 #1
    ##\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}##

##\frac{2(3-x)}{(x-3)(x+3)}\times\frac{5(3+x)}{4x}##

##\frac{3-x}{x-3}\times\frac{5}{2x}##

Now do I make the assumption that ##x\neq3## ?

If I make the assumption that ##x\neq3## then ##-1\times\frac{5}{2x} = -\frac{5}{2x}##

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2013 #2
    You started of with

[tex]\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}[/tex]

For this to be well-defined, you make the assumption there that ##x\neq -3, 0, 3##. So you make the assumption in the beginning instead of in the end.

4. Jul 28, 2013 #3
    How can you tell before even starting the question that ##x\neq-3,0,3## ? It only became obvious to me once I got to the last section. Even still my main question was is it the right thing to do to make the assumption? Should I be doing this with all questions and just include where ##x\neq-3,0,3## along with my answer?

Would an examiner be looking for these types of checks?

5. Jul 28, 2013 #4
    You want to avoid dividing by ##0##. So the denominator shouldn't be ##0##. I see two denominators, namely ##x^2 - 9## and ##4x##. Neither should be ##0##. Now, solving things, we get that ##x^2 - 9 = 0## if and only if ##x=-3,3## and ##4x = 0## if and only if ##x=0##. So you don't want ##x=-3,0,3##.

Yes, you should make the assumption. But you should make the assumption in the beginning.

Yes.

They should be looking out for these things.

6. Jul 28, 2013 #5
    Ok thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook