Algebra - make the assumption?

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, to solve the expression ##\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}##, one must make the assumption that ##x\neq-3,0,3## in order for the expression to be well-defined. This can be determined by checking that neither of the denominators, ##x^2-9## and ##4x##, are equal to 0. It is important to make this assumption in the beginning rather than at the end. An examiner should be looking for these types of checks in order to ensure the solution is valid.
MathJakob
##\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}##

##\frac{2(3-x)}{(x-3)(x+3)}\times\frac{5(3+x)}{4x}##

##\frac{3-x}{x-3}\times\frac{5}{2x}##

Now do I make the assumption that ##x\neq3## ?

If I make the assumption that ##x\neq3## then ##-1\times\frac{5}{2x} = -\frac{5}{2x}##

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MathJakob said:
##\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}##

##\frac{2(3-x)}{(x-3)(x+3)}\times\frac{5(3+x)}{4x}##

##\frac{3-x}{x-3}\times\frac{5}{2x}##

Now do I make the assumption that ##x\neq3## ?

If I make the assumption that ##x\neq3## then ##-1\times\frac{5}{2x} = -\frac{5}{2x}##

You started of with

[tex]\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}[/tex]

For this to be well-defined, you make the assumption there that ##x\neq -3, 0, 3##. So you make the assumption in the beginning instead of in the end.

micromass said:
You started of with

[tex]\frac{6-2x}{x^2-9}\times\frac{15+5x}{4x}[/tex]

For this to be well-defined, you make the assumption there that ##x\neq -3, 0, 3##. So you make the assumption in the beginning instead of in the end.

How can you tell before even starting the question that ##x\neq-3,0,3## ? It only became obvious to me once I got to the last section. Even still my main question was is it the right thing to do to make the assumption? Should I be doing this with all questions and just include where ##x\neq-3,0,3## along with my answer?

Would an examiner be looking for these types of checks?

MathJakob said:
How can you tell before even starting the question that ##x\neq-3,0,3## ?

You want to avoid dividing by ##0##. So the denominator shouldn't be ##0##. I see two denominators, namely ##x^2 - 9## and ##4x##. Neither should be ##0##. Now, solving things, we get that ##x^2 - 9 = 0## if and only if ##x=-3,3## and ##4x = 0## if and only if ##x=0##. So you don't want ##x=-3,0,3##.

It only became obvious to me once I got to the last section. Even still my main question was is it the right thing to do to make the assumption?

Yes, you should make the assumption. But you should make the assumption in the beginning.

Should I be doing this with all questions and just include where ##x\neq-3,0,3## along with my answer?

Yes.

Would an examiner be looking for these types of checks?

They should be looking out for these things.

Likes 1 person
Ok thank you

1. What is the purpose of making assumptions in algebra?

Making assumptions in algebra allows us to simplify complex equations and find solutions more easily. It also helps us to make predictions and create models to solve real-world problems.

2. How do we make assumptions in algebra?

We can make assumptions in algebra by assigning variables to unknown quantities and using operations and rules to manipulate them. We can also make assumptions based on patterns and relationships within the given problem.

3. Can assumptions in algebra lead to incorrect solutions?

Yes, assumptions in algebra can lead to incorrect solutions if they are not based on accurate information or if we make errors in our calculations. It is important to double-check our assumptions and work carefully to avoid mistakes.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for making assumptions in algebra?

There are no specific rules for making assumptions in algebra, but it is important to use logical reasoning and follow the rules of algebra when making and manipulating assumptions. It can also be helpful to check our assumptions with the given problem to ensure they are accurate.

5. Can assumptions in algebra be proven?

Assumptions in algebra cannot be proven, as they are based on assumptions and not proven facts. However, we can use our assumptions to solve equations and problems and determine if our solutions align with the given information, which can validate our assumptions to some extent.