1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra problem involving square roots

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no template
    So I stumbled upon this problem:
    Solve:
    nejasno.png

And I have attempted to solve it, however my solution doesn't match that of the book.
    nejasno1.png
    The solution should be x+4, but I don't have a clue how to get to that. I'm sorry if this seems pretty rudimentary, but I just want some help because it's the first time I've dealt with an equation like this (1<x<3 what should I do with that?). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2
    When the last sq.root goes,what remains is the absolute value,so you are left woth (-x+3) because x<3

4. Sep 9, 2015 #3
    So the solution is going to be |3x-2|? Sorry if I'm not getting this, but could you please do it step by step, I'm really bad at this.

5. Sep 9, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Technically, you aren't "solving" anything -- that term is applied to equations or inequalities. What you are doing is simplifying the given expression.
    In your work you have
    $$\sqrt{(x + 2)^2} + \sqrt{(x - 1)^2} + \sqrt{(x - 3)^2}, 1 < x < 3$$
    $$= |x + 2| + |x - 1| + |x - 3|$$
    You need to take the absolute value expressions on the given interval, 1 < x < 3, into consideration.

6. Sep 9, 2015 #5
    What is meant is that $$\sqrt{x^2}=|x|$$

Then you have to check if your x in your case x+2, x-1, x-3 are positve or negative in the domain 1<x<3.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  7. Sep 9, 2015 #6
    So, because we need to take the given interval into consideration, we take the absolute value of each term? So that would be the final "simplification" and not x+4?

8. Sep 9, 2015 #7
    If you consider only the interval given it will give x+4

But on other intervals the solution will be different.

And sometimes we have to choose the sign of the square root depending on the definition.

9. Sep 9, 2015 #8
    But how do I check if my x in x+2, x-1, x-3 is positive or negative? And could you give an example of how it would be if the domain was slightly different? Apologies if I may be annoying you with too many questions, but I want to truly understand.

10. Sep 9, 2015 #9
    For example if 1<x<3 is x+2 positive or negative ?

11. Sep 9, 2015 #10
    Positive?

12. Sep 9, 2015 #11
    Yes it runs from 3 to 5, so |x+2|=x+2 for x in that domain.

Now you do the same reasoning for x-1 and x-3 so you find ?

13. Sep 9, 2015 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you're saying here. By definition and long usage, the square root of a positive number is positive. In symbols, if x > 0, ##\sqrt{x} > 0##.

14. Sep 9, 2015 #13
    So what happens if it's negative, for x-1 and x-3? How would I do it now?

15. Sep 9, 2015 #14
    You notice that x-1 is positive whereas x-3 is negative for 1<x<3

Hence |x-1|=x-1 and |x-3|=-(x-3)=3-x

Then you make the sum : x+2+x-1+3-x=?

16. Sep 9, 2015 #15
    Oh, now I see. Well thank you and everyone else for clarifying and helping me understand this problem. Thanks a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted