Algebra problem involving square roots

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving simplifying an expression and considering the given interval. The final simplification is |x + 2| + |x - 1| + |x - 3|, with the value of x in each term dependent on the given interval. The experts provide step-by-step guidance on how to determine the signs of each term and simplify the expression.
Kevin Licer
Member warned about posting with no template
So I stumbled upon this problem:
Solve:
nejasno.png

And I have attempted to solve it, however my solution doesn't match that of the book.
nejasno1.png

The solution should be x+4, but I don't have a clue how to get to that. I'm sorry if this seems pretty rudimentary, but I just want some help because it's the first time I've dealt with an equation like this (1<x<3 what should I do with that?). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When the last sq.root goes,what remains is the absolute value,so you are left woth (-x+3) because x<3

Likes DEvens
So the solution is going to be |3x-2|? Sorry if I'm not getting this, but could you please do it step by step, I'm really bad at this.

Kevin Licer said:
So I stumbled upon this problem:
Solve:
View attachment 88442

And I have attempted to solve it, however my solution doesn't match that of the book.
View attachment 88443
The solution should be x+4, but I don't have a clue how to get to that. I'm sorry if this seems pretty rudimentary, but I just want some help because it's the first time I've dealt with an equation like this (1<x<3 what should I do with that?). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Technically, you aren't "solving" anything -- that term is applied to equations or inequalities. What you are doing is simplifying the given expression.
In your work you have
$$\sqrt{(x + 2)^2} + \sqrt{(x - 1)^2} + \sqrt{(x - 3)^2}, 1 < x < 3$$
$$= |x + 2| + |x - 1| + |x - 3|$$
You need to take the absolute value expressions on the given interval, 1 < x < 3, into consideration.

What is meant is that $$\sqrt{x^2}=|x|$$

Then you have to check if your x in your case x+2, x-1, x-3 are positve or negative in the domain 1<x<3.

Last edited:
So, because we need to take the given interval into consideration, we take the absolute value of each term? So that would be the final "simplification" and not x+4?

If you consider only the interval given it will give x+4

But on other intervals the solution will be different.

And sometimes we have to choose the sign of the square root depending on the definition.

But how do I check if my x in x+2, x-1, x-3 is positive or negative? And could you give an example of how it would be if the domain was slightly different? Apologies if I may be annoying you with too many questions, but I want to truly understand.

For example if 1<x<3 is x+2 positive or negative ?

Positive?

Yes it runs from 3 to 5, so |x+2|=x+2 for x in that domain.

Now you do the same reasoning for x-1 and x-3 so you find ?

jk22 said:
And sometimes we have to choose the sign of the square root depending on the definition.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. By definition and long usage, the square root of a positive number is positive. In symbols, if x > 0, ##\sqrt{x} > 0##.

So what happens if it's negative, for x-1 and x-3? How would I do it now?

You notice that x-1 is positive whereas x-3 is negative for 1<x<3

Hence |x-1|=x-1 and |x-3|=-(x-3)=3-x

Then you make the sum : x+2+x-1+3-x=?

Oh, now I see. Well thank you and everyone else for clarifying and helping me understand this problem. Thanks a bunch!

1. What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 multiplied by itself equals 25.

2. How do I simplify an algebra problem involving square roots?

To simplify an algebra problem involving square roots, you can factor the number under the square root symbol into its prime factors and then take the square root of each factor. You can also use the rules of exponents to simplify the expression.

3. Can you solve an algebra problem involving square roots without using a calculator?

Yes, you can solve algebra problems involving square roots without using a calculator by using various techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, or using the quadratic formula.

4. How do I solve for a variable in an algebra problem involving square roots?

To solve for a variable in an algebra problem involving square roots, you can isolate the variable on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the square root. However, it is important to check your solution to ensure it is valid.

5. What is the difference between finding the square root and simplifying a square root?

Finding the square root is the process of determining the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. Simplifying a square root involves simplifying the expression under the square root symbol as much as possible. While finding the square root gives you a specific number, simplifying a square root gives you an expression that is easier to work with.