Algebra, rearranging equations

• Thread starter jamesd2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: That is why you wanted an explanation. You used ambiguous notation. You should try to write more clearly next time.In summary, the conversation discusses the cancellation of b's in an equation involving the square root of b. The conclusion is that b's can only be canceled when they are factors of both the numerator and denominator. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of LaTeX in writing equations and the importance of writing clearly and unambiguously.
jamesd2008
Hi hope someone can help explain this for me.

If i have the equation of a=square root of b/b+1 why do can i not cancel the b's? If the equation was square root of bc/bd i can cancel the b's right?

Thanks
James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can cancel the b's only when they are factors of both the numerator and denominator. b is not a factor of the expression b + 1. Put some numbers in and see how it works. If b = 3, then your expression is 3/(3 + 1) = 3/4. If you (mistakenly) canceled b, you would get 1/(1 + 1) = 1/2, which is, of course, incorrect.

In your second example, b is a factor of both numerator and denominator, so you can cancel to get c/d.

Ok Mark thanks for your reply.

James

jamesd2008 said:
Hi hope someone can help explain this for me.

If i have the equation of a=square root of b/b+1 why do can i not cancel the b's? If the equation was square root of bc/bd i can cancel the b's right?

Thanks
James

When someone presents a question like this, the trouble is ignoring of the properties of numbers which the person is expected to learn and use.

What is the justification for either canceling the b's of not canceling the b's?

To follow up symbolipoint's post:

OP's expression, "a=square root of b/b+1" is extremely ambiguous:

Which interpretation to choose:
1. [tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{b}{b}+1}[/tex] "a=square root of ((b/b)+1)"

2. [tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{b}{b+1}[/tex] "a=square root of (b/(b+1))"

3. [tex]a=\frac{\sqrt{b}}{b}+1[/tex] "a=((square root of b)/b)+1)"

4. [tex]a=\frac{\sqrt{b}}{b+1}[/tex] "a=(square root of b)/(b+1)"

5. [tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{b}{b}}+1[/tex] "a=(square root of (b/b))+1"

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's it was statement 2 that I was considering in the problem.

arildno said:
To follow up symbolipoint's post:

OP's expression, "a=square root of b/b+1" is extremely ambiguous:

Which interpretation to choose:
1. [tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{b}{b}+1}[/tex] "a=square root of ((b/b)+1)"

2. [tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{b}{b+1}[/tex] "a=square root of (b/(b+1))"

3. [tex]a=\frac{\sqrt{b}}{b}+1[/tex] "a=((square root of b)/b)+1)"

4. [tex]a=\frac{\sqrt{b}}{b+1}[/tex] "a=(square root of b)/(b+1)"

5. [tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{b}{b}}+1[/tex] "a=(square root of (b/b))+1"

Hi you seem to know LaTeX.

I know this forum supports LaTeX and it's nice, but i want learn LaTeX, so what is your best advice, i.e. what LaTeX programs are good for writing Lab-reports?

another question I've got is, do you write the code for every expression or do you use the forum help with inserting code from menu?
Which one would you recommend?
thanks

jamesd2008 said:
Thanks for the reply's it was statement 2 that I was considering in the problem.

But, do you understand how unclear your question was?

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves the use of letters and symbols to represent numbers and quantities in equations and formulas.

What does it mean to rearrange an equation in algebra?

Rearranging an equation in algebra means to manipulate the terms and symbols in an equation to isolate a particular variable or find a specific value.

Why is it important to know how to rearrange equations in algebra?

Knowing how to rearrange equations in algebra is important because it allows us to solve for unknown variables and find solutions to problems in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

What are some common techniques for rearranging equations in algebra?

Some common techniques for rearranging equations in algebra include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and isolating variables by adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation.

Can the order of operations be changed when rearranging equations in algebra?

No, the order of operations cannot be changed when rearranging equations in algebra. The rules of arithmetic still apply and it is important to follow the correct order of operations to avoid errors and obtain accurate solutions.