1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebras generated as commutative algebras.

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be a commutative ring. Prove that a commutative R-algebra S is finitely generated as an algebra over R if and only if it is finitely generated as a commutative algebra over R.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really not even sure what this is asking. I know that for an R-algebra S, we can view it as being generated as an R-module and as an R-algebra, and that they do not generally agree. However, what's the difference between being generated as an R-algebra and being generated as a commutative R-algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

I'm not sure, but I'll have a go at it. I think that S is finitely generated as a commutative A-algebra if there is a surjection

[tex]A[T_1,...,T_n]\rightarrow S[/tex]

However, S is finitely generated as an A-algebra if there is a surjection

[tex]A<T_1,...,T_n>\rightarrow S[/tex]

Where [itex]A<T_1,...,T_n>[/itex] are polynomials in n variables, but the variables don't commute. So we don't have [itex]T_1T_2=T_2T_1[/itex].

What you need to show is that if S is commutative, then these two notions are equivalent.

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3
    Okay thanks. I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook