1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: All possible inequivalent Lie algebras

1. Dec 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can you find all inequivalent (non-isomorphic) 2D Lie algebras just by an analysis of the commutator?

2. Relevant equations
    $$[X,Y] = \alpha X + \beta Y$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I considered three cases: ##\alpha = \beta \neq 0, \alpha = 0## or ##\beta = 0, \alpha = \beta = 0##. I found that there can only be one 2D Lie algebra with commutator ##[X,Y] = X##. I'm not sure how to arrive at this answer. Any help is appreciated T_T. Thanks!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where did the Abelian case get lost?
    Now, say w.l.o.g. that ##\alpha \neq 0##. Then we have ##[X,\frac{1}{\alpha}Y]=X+\frac{\beta}{\alpha}Y## or ##[X,Y]=X+\gamma Y##. Can you find an isomorphism to ##[U,V]=V\,?## I switched the names of the basis vectors here, to avoid confusion between the two copies of the Lie algebra.

4. Dec 22, 2017 #3
    Sorry, I still fail to see how the the Abelian case was gone and I'm a little bit new when it comes to this so I'm a little bit slow. Could you explain how you arrived at that equation? Is it something like ##\frac{1}{\alpha}[X,Y] = X + \frac{\beta}{\alpha}Y##?

5. Dec 22, 2017 #4

fresh_42

2017 Award

We have ##[X,Y]=\alpha X + \beta Y## and assumed ##\alpha \neq 0##. Thus we can divide the equation by ##\alpha## and get ##\frac{1}{\alpha }[X,Y]= [X,\frac{1}{\alpha }Y]=1\cdot X + \frac{\beta}{\alpha }Y##. With ##Y':=\frac{1}{\alpha}Y## this means ##[X,Y']=X+\beta Y'##. I didn't do this calculation, so I didn't bother the coefficient and wrote ##\gamma ## instead of ##\beta ## and ##Y## again instead of ##Y'##.

Now which multiplication do you get for ##U=X## and ##V=X+\beta Y'## and how can we turn the factor ##\beta ## into a factor ##1##?

6. Dec 22, 2017 #5
    One last set of questions (I think). Can we really just ignore ##\alpha = \beta = 0##? To me, it seems that ##\alpha \neq 0## is more of an initial assumption. Also, can you clarify what do you mean by "which multiplication"? Do you mean what constant should I multiply to make the factor ##\beta## to 1? Or is this something like if ##V=X+\beta Y'##
    $$[V - \beta Y', Y'] = [V,Y] - \beta[Y', Y'] = V$$ $$[V,Y'] = V$$

Thank you very much for your help and patience ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2017
  7. Dec 22, 2017 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

No, we can't. This leads to the Abelian solution. There are two two dimensional Lie algebras.
    There are all four cases you have listed. ##\alpha = \beta = 0## (Abelian Lie algebra) and all other three cases ##\alpha \neq 0 = \beta\; , \;\alpha =0 \neq \beta\; , \;\alpha \neq 0 \neq \beta## should lead to isomorphic copies of ##\mathfrak{g}=\langle X,Y\,\vert \,[X,Y]=Y\rangle##, the two dimensional non-Abelian Lie algebra.
    ##\{X,Y\}## is a basis. Now basis transformations don't change the Lie algebra, only the way we write it down. We arrived at ##[X,Y']=X+\beta Y'## by setting ##Y'= \frac{1}{\alpha}Y##, which is simply another basis. Now let ##Y''=V=X+\beta Y'##. Then ##[X,Y'']=\ldots =\beta Y''##. Here we have again two possibilities. The Abelian solution for ##\beta =0## and with which substitution ##X'=\ldots## do we get ##[X',Y'']=Y''\,?## By multiplication I meant these Lie multiplications.

Until now we have made only basis transformations within a given Lie algebra. What is left, is the case ##[X,Y]=\alpha X \neq 0## with ##\beta = 0##. Which transformations lead from there to ##[U,V]=V## or if you like it better ##[X',Y']=Y'\,?## The last multiplication is the one we want to arrive at.

8. Dec 22, 2017 #7
    OOOHHH!!!! Now I see!! Thank you very much!! I understand it clearly now. Actually, at first I thought there could only be one possible 2D Lie algebra (from what I saw from Wikipedia). Either it was wrong and misleading or I misunderstood, but I am more convinced that there should be an Abelian case. Your answer was more than enough. Thank you very much!! ^_^

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted