1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aliprantis/burkinshaw analysis textbook

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    does anyone have any experience of using this book? How does this compare to standard analysis textbooks ie. Baby Rudin, Apostol, Bartle/Sherbert etc.?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
  4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    yeah that one. So it's at the level of big Rudin?

basically I'm looking for a textbook to learn analysis from at the level of baby Rudin. But some people (micromass) hates the blue book for being too terse , and not giving intuition. I have the book, but I'm also looking for other options.

5. Jun 9, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't exactly hate baby Rudin because it is too terse. I hate it because it gives no intuition, there is a difference. Rudin likes to make things difficult (in my opinion) and it's not helpful to people new to analysis.

That said, I like Aliprantis quite a lot. It is more oriented towards functional analysis than other textbooks. But it is NOT a book suitable for beginners in analysis.

So, what is your experience in mathematics/analysis?? Did you ever complete a book at the level of Spivak's calculus??

Another book which is very interesting is Carothers. I think that book would be suitable for somebody who completed Spivak's calculus. Aliprantis might be too difficult.

Another nice book (which happens to be mathwonk's favorite) are the books by Berberian. However, I find it's introduction to analysis somewhat too easy. The other books are nice though.

I suggest you go to some sort of library and check out several analysis books. Read the first chapter and make some exercises. Then you can pick whichever you like best.

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    we did proofs in my multivariable calculus class, using williamson/trotter textbook. just finished with upper division linear algebra using friedberg/insel/spence. writing proofs isn't too much of a problem for me.

is this

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Analysis-N-L-Carothers/dp/0521497566

the book you're talking about? if so, what is good about this?

7. Jun 10, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that's the book.

8. Jun 10, 2012 #7
    Is it a good book to learn analysis from? Or more of a reference (like some of the amazon reviews suggest)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook