Almost uncontrollable fascination with astro/quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the fascination with understanding the universe and its mysteries, such as other dimensions and string theory. The question is posed whether it is worth giving up something to fully comprehend the universe, and if our brains are even capable of grasping these concepts. The conversation ends with a nonsensical response about putting a percentage on our brain's ability to understand these mysteries.
jman
I'm wondering if I'm alone, but I have this huge fascination with how the universe and everything works, like other dimensions, string theory, all that stuff. Basically everything that astrophysicist like Stephen hawking study. I would almost give up winning the lottery if I could know and understand everything about the universe.

Would anyone else actually give up something like this to understand all of the universes mysteries? Are our tiny brains even capable? Like animals aren't capable of understanding calculus. Some things that just blow my mind, like how can the universe have no center? Things like that make me realize how primitive our minds are? Or just trying to imagine a 4th space dimension. It's so hard, yet there could be 10+ space dimensions. It just blows my mind!

I guess my real question is, are our brains even capable of coming close to understanding all these deep mysteries? If you could put a percentage on it, what would it be? Like a dog is 5% capable of understanding algebra.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jman said:
If you could put a percentage on it, what would it be?

Eleventy three percent and five doubloons.

jman said:
I guess my real question is, are our brains even capable of coming close to understanding all these deep mysteries? If you could put a percentage on it, what would it be? Like a dog is 5% capable of understanding algebra.
This is nonsense, sorry.

1. What is astro/quantum physics?

Astro/quantum physics is a branch of physics that combines the study of astrophysics (the study of celestial objects and phenomena) with quantum mechanics (the study of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level). It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and processes that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. What makes astro/quantum physics so fascinating?

Astro/quantum physics is fascinating because it allows us to explore the mysteries of the universe and understand how it functions at both the largest and smallest scales. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries and theories, such as the theory of relativity and quantum entanglement, that have revolutionized our understanding of the world.

3. Why is the fascination with astro/quantum physics almost uncontrollable?

Astro/quantum physics deals with complex and abstract concepts that challenge our understanding of the world around us. It also raises profound questions about the nature of reality and our place in the universe, which can be both intriguing and overwhelming. This can lead to a strong desire to continue learning and exploring this field.

4. How can astro/quantum physics benefit society?

Astro/quantum physics has many practical applications that have greatly benefited society. For example, our understanding of quantum mechanics has led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also helps us understand the workings of the universe, which can lead to advancements in fields such as space exploration and renewable energy.

5. Is it possible for non-scientists to understand astro/quantum physics?

While astro/quantum physics can be complex and difficult to grasp, there are many resources available for non-scientists to learn about these concepts. Popular science books, documentaries, and online courses can provide a basic understanding of astro/quantum physics without requiring a strong background in science. It may not be possible to fully understand all the intricacies of this field, but anyone can appreciate the wonder and beauty of the universe and its underlying principles.