Alpha Particle Elastic Collisions

In summary: has provided a correction to the equation and suggests substituting v1=v-4v2 into it to find the correct solution.
Workout

Homework Statement

A proton strikes a stationary alpha particle (4He nucleus) head-on. Assuming the collision is completely elastic, what fraction of the proton’s kinetic energy is transferred to the alpha particle?

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf
Ki = Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

For Pi = Pf
mv = m1v1 + 4m2v2
cancel the m's out
v = v1 + 4v2

For Ki = Kf
1/2mv^2 = 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2(4)m2v2^2
Cancel out the 1/2 and the m's

v^2 = v1^2 + 2v2^2

Now I'm lost.. can't substitute it into the equation, I feel like I got nowhere.

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Workout said:

Homework Statement

A proton strikes a stationary alpha particle (4He nucleus) head-on. Assuming the collision is completely elastic, what fraction of the proton’s kinetic energy is transferred to the alpha particle?

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf
Ki = Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

For Pi = Pf
mv = m1v1 + 4m2v2
cancel the m's out
v = v1 + 4v2

For Ki = Kf
1/2mv^2 = 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2(4)m2v2^2
Cancel out the 1/2 and the m's

v^2 = v1^2 + 2v2^2

Now I'm lost.. can't substitute it into the equation, I feel like I got nowhere.

Help please.
The second equation is not correct. It should be v^2 = v1^2 + 4v2^2
You can substitute v1=v-4v2 into it.

ehild

1. What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are positively charged particles that consist of two protons and two neutrons. They are a type of ionizing radiation and are commonly emitted by radioactive materials.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the particles involved is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

3. How do alpha particles interact during elastic collisions?

During elastic collisions, alpha particles interact through the electromagnetic force. This force causes the particles to repel or attract each other depending on their charges.

4. What happens to the alpha particles after an elastic collision?

After an elastic collision, alpha particles may change direction and/or speed, but their total kinetic energy remains the same. They continue to travel through the material until they collide with another particle or are absorbed.

5. What are the applications of studying alpha particle elastic collisions?

Studying alpha particle elastic collisions can help scientists understand the behavior and properties of different materials, as well as the effects of ionizing radiation on these materials. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and materials science.