Alternative equation for a line

• Thread starter noxf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a formula for a line, which can be represented by the equation ax + by = c or xsin(r) - ycos(r) + p = 0. The value of r represents the angle between the line and the x-axis, while |p| represents the distance from the line to the origin. The conversation also includes a discussion on using the vector form of a line and polar coordinates to solve for the equation of a line. Finally, a suggestion is given to use a right triangle to derive the formula.
noxf
Hi there,

I've been having a problem understanding how to derive a formula. I have here a lemma that states:
A line L is a set of points (x,y) in R^2 where (x,y) satisfy the equation ax + by = c with (a,b) are not trivial and every such equation determines a line. This can be rewritten as:
xsin(r) - ycos(r) + p = 0

Maybe I'm constantly doing something wrong but I've tried to do tricks with the vector form of a line and polar coordinates but to no avail :(

Anyone got an idea?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
noxf said:
Hi there,

I've been having a problem understanding how to derive a formula. I have here a lemma that states:
A line L is a set of points (x,y) in R^2 where (x,y) satisfy the equation ax + by = c with (a,b) are not trivial and every such equation determines a line. This can be rewritten as:
xsin(r) - ycos(r) + p = 0

Maybe I'm constantly doing something wrong but I've tried to do tricks with the vector form of a line and polar coordinates but to no avail :(

Anyone got an idea?
What does r represent in the second equation? Pretty obviously it's an angle, but which angle?

r is the angle between the line L and x-axis. |p| is the distance from L to (0,0).

From the equation ax + by = c, solve for y to get y = (-a/b) * x + c/b
When x = 0, y = c/b, so the y-intercept is at (0, c/b).

Let P(x, y) be a point on line L. Form a right triangle whose vertices are (0, c/b), (x, y) and (x, y - c/b). (In my drawing I am assuming that line L has a positive slope, so that the point at (x, y) is above and to the right of the y-intercept.)

From this triangle, tan(r) = (y - c/b)/x, so x tan(r) = y - c/b. From here you should be able to get to the equation in the lemma.

Thanks a lot for the swift reply :)

1. What is an alternative equation for a line?

An alternative equation for a line is the slope-intercept form, also known as y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

2. How is the alternative equation for a line different from the standard form?

The alternative equation for a line, or slope-intercept form, is written in the form of y = mx + b, while the standard form is written as Ax + By = C. The alternative form is more commonly used when graphing a line, while the standard form is useful for solving for x and y intercepts.

3. Can any line be represented by the alternative equation?

Yes, any line can be represented by the alternative equation, as long as it is not a vertical line. Vertical lines cannot be represented in slope-intercept form because their slope is undefined.

4. How can the alternative equation for a line be used to find the slope and y-intercept?

The slope, m, in the slope-intercept form represents the change in y over the change in x. So, to find the slope, you can choose two points on the line and use the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). The y-intercept, b, is the point where the line crosses the y-axis and can be identified by looking at the value of b in the equation y = mx + b.

5. Are there any other alternative equations for a line?

Yes, there are other forms of the equation for a line, such as point-slope form, two-point form, and intercept form. Each of these forms has its own advantages and can be useful for different situations. However, the slope-intercept form is the most commonly used alternative equation for a line.