Alternative Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a supposed "proof" of Fermat's Last Theorem found online. The author claims it was not rejected but not accepted due to the referees not grasping the key concept. However, the conversation participants agree that the paper is not a legitimate proof and is instead a rambling, incoherent piece of writing. The paper is deemed to be written by a crackpot and not a serious mathematician.
jobsism
I found this paper, which is a supposed "proof" of Fermat's Last Theorem, while I was doodling around online. I would have normally ignored it, due to the vast quantity of crackpot proofs that are available on the subject. But the author of this proof (someone named Andrew H. Warren) claims in the paper, "Originally submitted to American Mathematical Society on February 16, 1991. Not rejected – no flaws
were found. Not accepted – the referees could not grasp the key concept. The author hopes that improved presentation and better graphics will make the understanding of the concept easier to grasp.
".

I'm just a beginner in proofs, but it certainly didn't seem like an "algebra-without-justification" type proof. Could anyone here have a look at it, and tell if it's genuine, or just another crank playing with big words?

Here's the file:- files.asme.org/MEMagazine/Articles/Web/15299.pdf

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I find the phrase "not rejected- not accepted" very strange. If it was not accepted then it was rejected! He says "no flaws. The referees could not grasp the key concept". That makes me think he did what cranks usually do. Having no idea what a mathematical proof is there was so much handwaving, undefined terms, and non-sequiturs that that the referees could NOT grasp what he was saying and did not point out specific "flaws". Cranks never realize the fact that making no sense is a flaw- and an uncorrectable one.

I looked at the paper briefly. I would say it is NOT a case of an "algebra without justification". There is little to no algebra in the paper. The writer interprets the theorem geometrically, in terms of hyper-cubes, and then starts talking about painting portions of the hyper-cubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
jobsism said:
I found this paper, which is a supposed "proof" of Fermat's Last Theorem, while I was doodling around online. I would have normally ignored it, due to the vast quantity of crackpot proofs that are available on the subject. But the author of this proof (someone named Andrew H. Warren) claims in the paper, "Originally submitted to American Mathematical Society on February 16, 1991. Not rejected – no flaws
were found. Not accepted – the referees could not grasp the key concept. The author hopes that improved presentation and better graphics will make the understanding of the concept easier to grasp.
".

I'm just a beginner in proofs, but it certainly didn't seem like an "algebra-without-justification" type proof. Could anyone here have a look at it, and tell if it's genuine, or just another crank playing with big words?

Here's the file:- files.asme.org/MEMagazine/Articles/Web/15299.pdf

Just from reading the beginning one can tell: this is not a mathematician's paper, not even a well-educated, lover-of-mathematics- non-mathematician paper. These are just the geometric-like rantings of someone who thinks she/he knows better, and if the paper looks as it does now after the author "improved" the presentation, no wonder the first one was such that no referee won't even try to read, let alone to check to depth.

First condition to be taken seriously in the mathematical realm: learn how to write mathematics. This is way beyond knowing how to write down equations or stuff: the writing must be wrapped with a logical, sound and consecutive sequence of reasonings, not drawings, arrows or stuff.

DonAntonio

It's a crackpot paper.

I would approach this paper with skepticism and caution. While it is always important to consider new ideas and approaches, it is also important to critically evaluate them and not simply accept them at face value.

Based on the information provided, it seems that this proof has not been accepted by the mathematical community and has not undergone a rigorous peer review process. This raises red flags and suggests that the proof may not be valid.

I would recommend seeking out expert opinions and discussing the proof with other mathematicians and scientists before drawing any conclusions. It is also important to thoroughly examine the proof and its assumptions, as well as any counterarguments or critiques that have been raised against it.

In summary, while it is interesting to come across alternative proofs for famous mathematical theorems, it is important to approach them with a critical and analytical mindset in order to ensure their validity and credibility.

1. What is the Alternative Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem?

The Alternative Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical proof that was proposed by British mathematician Andrew Wiles in 1995. It is an alternative to the original proof of the theorem by Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century.

2. How does the Alternative Proof differ from the original proof?

The original proof of Fermat's Last Theorem relied on a specific case of elliptic curves, while the Alternative Proof uses a more general case of modular forms. This allows for a more comprehensive and rigorous proof of the theorem.

3. What makes the Alternative Proof more reliable?

The Alternative Proof uses modern mathematical techniques and concepts, such as Galois representations and modularity theorems, which were not available during Fermat's time. This makes the proof more rigorous and reliable.

4. Has the Alternative Proof been accepted by the mathematical community?

Yes, the Alternative Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem has been accepted by the mathematical community and is considered a valid and complete proof of the theorem. It has been published in several peer-reviewed journals and has been thoroughly reviewed by other mathematicians.

5. How important is the Alternative Proof in the field of mathematics?

The Alternative Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem is a major breakthrough in the field of mathematics. It not only provides a solution to a centuries-old problem, but it also opens up new avenues for research in number theory and related fields. It has also inspired further developments in mathematical techniques and proofs.