Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ALuminum reactions with reagents

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    I'm having extreme difficulty identifying some precipitates I obtained from combining a solution of Aluminum Nitrate and Sodium Carbonate. The result was an orange precipitate. I have searched high and low (complex ions, decomposition, redox, etc) but I can't figure it out. Please HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure the sodium carbonate wasn't really sodium chromate or dichromate? What color were the two solutions before you combined them?

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3
    i did have a reaction with chromate too, but i had another with clear sodium carbonate and aluminum nitrate and got an orange ppt. I was thinking it could be Al2O3? i just don't know how that could occur.

5. Feb 21, 2007 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Most Al precipitates I can think off are white. Carbonate is one of them. IMHO if it was orange, you may have mislabelled solutions or you did some other mistake.

6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    Its been awhile since I was doing redox reactions, but I'm presuming the reaction took place in the presence of water. If so the Aluminium Nitrate should undergoe a redox reaction with the water.

Half equations:
    2H2O(l) -> O2(aq) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-
    Al3+(aq) + 3e- -> Al(aq)

Full equation:
    6H2O(l) + 4Al3+(aq) -> 2Al2O3(s) + 4H+(aq)

The Aluminium and Water react due to their electronegativity.

7. Feb 22, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

None of this happens....

8. Feb 28, 2007 #7
    In this conditions should precipitate Al(OH)3 (white) which easily include impurities; infact this precipitation it's used to purify water. A small, not initially visible amount of coloured substance (chromate, for example) easily gives a colour to the precipitate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?