ALuminum reactions with reagents

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of identifying an orange precipitate obtained from combining aluminum nitrate and sodium carbonate solutions. There is speculation that the sodium carbonate may have been mislabeled or that a redox reaction with water may have occurred. However, it is noted that under these conditions, the expected precipitate would be white, possibly indicating the presence of impurities.
mavsqueen06
I'm having extreme difficulty identifying some precipitates I obtained from combining a solution of Aluminum Nitrate and Sodium Carbonate. The result was an orange precipitate. I have searched high and low (complex ions, decomposition, redox, etc) but I can't figure it out. Please HELP!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you sure the sodium carbonate wasn't really sodium chromate or dichromate? What color were the two solutions before you combined them?

i did have a reaction with chromate too, but i had another with clear sodium carbonate and aluminum nitrate and got an orange ppt. I was thinking it could be Al2O3? i just don't know how that could occur.

Most Al precipitates I can think off are white. Carbonate is one of them. IMHO if it was orange, you may have mislabelled solutions or you did some other mistake.

Its been awhile since I was doing redox reactions, but I'm presuming the reaction took place in the presence of water. If so the Aluminium Nitrate should undergoe a redox reaction with the water.

Half equations:
2H2O(l) -> O2(aq) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-
Al3+(aq) + 3e- -> Al(aq)

Full equation:
6H2O(l) + 4Al3+(aq) -> 2Al2O3(s) + 4H+(aq)

The Aluminium and Water react due to their electronegativity.

+Minkie+ said:
Its been awhile since I was doing redox reactions, but I'm presuming the reaction took place in the presence of water. If so the Aluminium Nitrate should undergoe a redox reaction with the water.

Half equations:
2H2O(l) -> O2(aq) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-
Al3+(aq) + 3e- -> Al(aq)

Full equation:
6H2O(l) + 4Al3+(aq) -> 2Al2O3(s) + 4H+(aq)

The Aluminium and Water react due to their electronegativity.

None of this happens...

mavsqueen06 said:
i did have a reaction with chromate too, but i had another with clear sodium carbonate and aluminum nitrate and got an orange ppt. I was thinking it could be Al2O3? i just don't know how that could occur.
In this conditions should precipitate Al(OH)3 (white) which easily include impurities; infact this precipitation it's used to purify water. A small, not initially visible amount of coloured substance (chromate, for example) easily gives a colour to the precipitate.

1. What is the chemical formula for aluminum's reaction with hydrochloric acid?

The chemical formula for aluminum's reaction with hydrochloric acid is Al + HCl → AlCl3 + H2.

2. How does aluminum react with water?

Aluminum reacts with water by producing aluminum oxide and hydrogen gas. The chemical formula for this reaction is 2Al + 6H2O → 2Al(OH)3 + 3H2.

3. What happens when aluminum reacts with sodium hydroxide?

When aluminum reacts with sodium hydroxide, it produces aluminum hydroxide and hydrogen gas. The chemical formula for this reaction is 2Al + 2NaOH + 6H2O → 2Na[Al(OH)4] + 3H2.

4. How does the reaction between aluminum and nitric acid differ from other reactions?

The reaction between aluminum and nitric acid is different because it produces nitrogen dioxide gas instead of hydrogen gas. The chemical formula for this reaction is 2Al + 6HNO3 → 2Al(NO3)3 + 3NO2 + 3H2O.

5. What are some common reagents used in reactions with aluminum?

Some common reagents used in reactions with aluminum include hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide, nitric acid, and sulfuric acid. Other reagents may also be used, depending on the desired reaction and end product.