ALuminum reactions with reagents

I'm having extreme difficulty identifying some precipitates I obtained from combining a solution of Aluminum Nitrate and Sodium Carbonate. The result was an orange precipitate. I have searched high and low (complex ions, decomposition, redox, etc) but I can't figure it out. Please HELP!

Answers and Replies

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Are you sure the sodium carbonate wasn't really sodium chromate or dichromate? What color were the two solutions before you combined them?

i did have a reaction with chromate too, but i had another with clear sodium carbonate and aluminum nitrate and got an orange ppt. I was thinking it could be Al2O3? i just don't know how that could occur.

Borek
Mentor
Most Al precipitates I can think off are white. Carbonate is one of them. IMHO if it was orange, you may have mislabelled solutions or you did some other mistake.

Its been awhile since I was doing redox reactions, but I'm presuming the reaction took place in the presence of water. If so the Aluminium Nitrate should undergoe a redox reaction with the water.

Half equations:
2H2O(l) -> O2(aq) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-
Al3+(aq) + 3e- -> Al(aq)

Full equation:
6H2O(l) + 4Al3+(aq) -> 2Al2O3(s) + 4H+(aq)

The Aluminium and Water react due to their electronegativity.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Its been awhile since I was doing redox reactions, but I'm presuming the reaction took place in the presence of water. If so the Aluminium Nitrate should undergoe a redox reaction with the water.

Half equations:
2H2O(l) -> O2(aq) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-
Al3+(aq) + 3e- -> Al(aq)

Full equation:
6H2O(l) + 4Al3+(aq) -> 2Al2O3(s) + 4H+(aq)

The Aluminium and Water react due to their electronegativity.
None of this happens....

i did have a reaction with chromate too, but i had another with clear sodium carbonate and aluminum nitrate and got an orange ppt. I was thinking it could be Al2O3? i just don't know how that could occur.
In this conditions should precipitate Al(OH)3 (white) which easily include impurities; infact this precipitation it's used to purify water. A small, not initially visible amount of coloured substance (chromate, for example) easily gives a colour to the precipitate.