1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I doomed to fail if I don't ace Analysis II?

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    I am currently taking an Analysis course. We are using Folland's Advanced Calculus textbook. The professor is good. The reason I am not doing so well is because of my own naivety. I do understand what is going on in the class but I am shooting myself in the foot with dumb things.

For example, today we had a quiz in class. The problem was to evaluate an extremely easy limit. Having taken a multivariable class that was not proof intensive, I took evaluate to mean find the limit. This limit was extremely obvious so I didn't bother proving anything. The epsilon delta proof would have been just as easy if I were to have done it, but I didn't do it so I am probably looking at a 0.

This one quiz obviously won't be detrimental to my grade, but the professor is notoriously harsh when it comes to tests so I won't have a safety net to fall onto if I mess up a question on the midterm/final. I got burned today and I have learned my lesson but say I take a B- or something in this class. Is graduate school a lost cause?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2
    I can't imagine that it is a lost cause - especially getting a B in a pretty hard math class. I, for example, for several bad reasons, got a C in a stat. class - it was an upper level stat class, but still the C was embarrassing, and I am currently in grad school at a pretty big name place (not that that matters all that much) with funding. So, and others here are more knowledgeable, I don't think a B- will hurt your chances too much.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    I don't know any advanced undergraduate math but what is the difference between evaluating the limit and finding the limit?

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The point of the question was not only to find the limit, but also to prove rigorously that that is the limit. So they wanted an epsilon-delta proof, and not only the final answer.

It's pretty ambiguous though. The professor should have stated explicitely that he wanted an epsilon-delta proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook